Leather Working Kits?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

synoptic

Sep 9, 2006
Manchester
Okay,

Ordered my starter bushcraft knife (as discussed on other thread http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=15368 ) , made my sharpening blocks and was getting quite interested in having a bash at a sheath for it. I've read the tutorials on this site and BB which have really sparked an interest in this project.

I've looked around the web for a starter kit of sorts that would enable me to undertake a project like this at minimal cost but have so far drawn a blank. I basically need stuff like an awl, beveller, modelling tools, pricking fork or wheel, maybe a thinning plane, etc.

Anybody know of a good but reasonably priced kit that could get me started?

Cheers.

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
singteck said:
That's alot of tools for just making one sheath!

You can try www.leprevo.com and see the prices. They also have a starter kit.

But for your first, I think all you need is a piece of leather, needles, thread amd some beewax.

Have fun.

singteck

Get a flat saddlemakers awl too. I struggled with a round awl for ages.

I also found a couple of boards to clamp very close to the stitching line made my life a lot easer.

I got the started kit from le-provo and it's sort of OK but probably cheaper to buy separately (needles from woolies etc). I wouldn't bother will the belt kit that comes with it.

Edge finishing compound and an edging chisel are worth having I reckon.

I'm lusting after a pricking iron but will probably get my blacksmith mate to knock one up.

Just a thought to test the water... you have to buy a lot of leather in one go if all you want is a sheath and a pouch. would anyone be interested in a group buy of a side to be divvied up?

The last batch of leather I bought was from the flea market in brussels 15E for a roll of 2mm and some pigskin.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
another one you can try: the Identity Store,, Billing Park, Northampton NN3 9BQ 01604 407 177, for the catalogue, you need to ring them: 01629 581 403,, they had a small web site, but that seem to have dissapeared :confused:
I bought quite a bit of stuff from them, leather and tools and they were quite good, they were originally the British brabch of Tandy and as far as I know still sell their stuff.

synoptic

Sep 9, 2006
Manchester
Thanks for the tips, will take a look at the links.

Bent-stick - I may be up for share of a group buy if you get enough takers.

Cheers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE