Leather workers advice please

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hi All,

I have been itching to make a quiver that has been floating round in my wee brain.

It is basically a tube, much like a document tube with a cap. The tube will have a fixed bottom and a removable sliding top.
Now the question bit. I have never sewn a cap or anything similar. I have made a few box type sheathes before where they met at right angles with varying success.

So how should i go about making this tube? Any pointers or things to avoid? Tips and tricks please.

Something like this but much larger. More like 35 inches long and about 4 inch wide.

http://nymla.deviantart.com/art/Leather-Tube-178163438

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
The one in the photos looks like it has been butt-stitched. That is, stitched edge to edge. I made a back quiver by overlapping the leather and using thronging. If I can dig it out I'll take a photo for you.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Here you go:

5ihx.jpg

lwz8.jpg

BTW: mine isn't completely cylindrical as I wanted a slightly flatter oval shape so it would sit nicely on my back. Also it is slightly bigger at the top than the bottom but the principle remains the same.

Hope it helps.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
The bottom is a piece of oak held in place by brass upholstery nails. I didn't use leather as I wanted something more robust that would take the impact of the arrow piles hitting it every time I put one back into the quiver.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
That's food for thought cheers mate.
I could do the same to the top cap and use a fancy bit of wood to make it look nice....

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
i would either do it as if it were a tankard ie saddle stitch it as normal (would cause a flared end most likely), or if you wanted it to remain perfectly cylindrical then you could stack a couple of layers of leather creating a sort of plug (this would give increased area for your glue, making it more secure, and then using an awl i would sew at a 45 degree angle through the side and bottom.

This is just the way i personally would do it, there might be better suggestions.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE