Leather... where to start.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
3 ounces is 1.2mm
between there and 8 ounce (3.2mm) 18/3 is normally the beastie.
10 ounce is 4mm look at 18/4 really if you can get it. If you are using very hard heavy leathers like Oak bark tanned look at 18/5 or 18/6.

Cool, thanks for that.

Good synthetic sinew is normally flat, it can normally be relatively easily split into strands (if you have a heavier weight than you require you can halve or quarter the weight relatively easily). The varying thicknesses of sinew are used for differing weights of leather or areas of higher abrasion. The poorer synthetic sinew that I have used tends to be more of a white cohesive strand (a bit like flexible rawhide) and has been referred to by Eric Methven on here as dental floss.

So best to see it before buying.

No I don't thinks so I am pretty sure it's different to that, for a start tiger thread I thinks starts at 6mm and then ranges up in size to 1.7mm. Brisa used to sell the stuff and so did Nordell knives, from Brisa it comes as lengths and from Nordell knives it comes as a cop of about 5000 yards.

Abbey Saddlery sell it as well.

Saddlers use both, one is used for machine stitching the other tends to be used for hand stitching.

So the Tiger is the stuff to go for then. Do wonder if it is too strong, and over time does it cut the leather, but if saddlers use it, you would have thought not.

Good question, I don't really know the answer to this. I think they tend to use less stitches and heavier threads on heavier leathers because they can get away with it. The fewer amount of stitches being in a heavier grade thread being able to withstand the rigours and strains that the heavier leathers will naturally come under (not being as flexible probably puts the stitching under greater stress when thicker leathers are flexed and moved, but having fewer holes makes it a little less like "tear along the dotted line"). That's the best answer I can give you.

Thanks makes sense.

Black Sheep, nice work. Were did you get the stamp?

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Black Sheep, nice work. Were did you get the stamp?

Cheers:eek:

If you mean my Sheep stamp I made it myself out of some Brass.

DSC01169.jpg

Cheers

Richard

leon-1

Cool, thanks for that.

No Problems, my pleasure.

Minotaur said:
So best to see it before buying.

Yeah preferably or just ask the people on here where they get there stuff from.

Abbey Saddlery sell it as well.

Yes they do, if you have a trade account and have registered with them. I have, but not everyone wants to go through the hassle (even thought it's pretty clear cut and painless).

So the Tiger is the stuff to go for then. Do wonder if it is too strong, and over time does it cut the leather, but if saddlers use it, you would have thought not.

I have been using it for over five years and have seen no evidence of it yet, I tend to use the 0.8mm it's one of the finer ones and you're not stuck with a 1000meter real so if things go pearshaped you haven't wasted a lot of money.

Thanks makes sense.

As I said it's the only thing I could think of, it's not gospell.

Good luck with it guys, and I have to agree with Black Sheep, once you start you'll find it very addictive.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE