Leather. where to get it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bush tycoon

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2010
Essex
Hi there guys.

I am looking at taking up a bit of leather work making an axe guard to start. just wondering if anyone can suggest the type of leather i would need and where i can busy it in smallish sizes.

Many Thanks

Jack

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
4mm veg tan should be just the ticket. Call leprevo and tell them what you're up to as they can probably send you a little bit rather than half a cow!!

Cheers,

Alan

bush tycoon

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2010
Essex
thanks guys

I have just sent a email across explain my needs just have to wait for them to get back to me. Is leather work expensive to get into?

bush tycoon

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2010
Essex
I didnt realise how much of a tool junkie i was till i joint this forum, i now see things, i think i dont have a use for it at the moment but one day i might so ill have to get one to be safe. What are the most basic tools i would need?

Sorry for all the questions guys? and thanks for answering them

Jack

Last edited:

mikethescout

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2009
swindon
le pravro is expensive if you dont want to buy all at once. I get this from a suppiler on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/14-x12-TOOLIN...lectable_ToolsHasdware_RL?hash=item58855a8f47

As for tools, i dont own any special tools for my work, mainly becuase the student budget doesnt cover it.

I find that a fork works just as well for marking where to make holes, instead of a overstich wheel.
I also use a hand drill with small bit to make the holes ready for stiching instead of an awl.

The only thing that i think is a mjust have is a sharp knife with which to cut the leather.

Mike

bush tycoon

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2010
Essex
Cheers Guys.

Well im going to be buying my first axe this week just a cheapo chopper from the local timber yard so i can practice sharpening and getting use to it before i invest in a more expensive one and am going to use it as a opputinity to try some leather working to make a guard. Ill let you know how i get on

Jack

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE