Leather...where best/cheapest to buy from?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Burt

Jan 16, 2005
South Lincolnshire
Can anyone throw some places to get fairly cheap veg tanned cowhide about 3mm thick. I have looked on leprevo but was wondering is there anywhere cheaper I can buy it by the square foot?

Tiffers

Mar 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.abbeysaddlery.com will come up cheaper than le Prevo if you are looking at a whole shoulder. They usually come in at around 15 square feet at £3 or so per foot. Le Prevo however have what they call narrow shoulders which they sell for about £2.60 per square foot and they average between 7 and 10 square feet per shoulder.

They are listed under clearance bargains.

I know that www.brisa.fi usually has narrow pieces of leather for sale of various types but I think they stick to the half-tanned or scandinavian kinds of leather.

Hope this helps :)

Tiffers

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Hi,
If its just leather for a bag or such then try the Charity shops. You can pick up old leather jackets for a few quid and some of it is good stuff.
;)

Tiffers said:
www.abbeysaddlery.com will come up cheaper than le Prevo if you are looking at a whole shoulder. They usually come in at around 15 square feet at £3 or so per foot. Le Prevo however have what they call narrow shoulders which they sell for about £2.60 per square foot and they average between 7 and 10 square feet per shoulder.

They are listed under clearance bargains.

I know that www.brisa.fi usually has narrow pieces of leather for sale of various types but I think they stick to the half-tanned or scandinavian kinds of leather.

Hope this helps :)

Tiffers
Ang on an minute, seems I can't go anywhere these days :rolleyes: ;)

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
I remeber an episode of the fantastic Clarissa and the Countryman when they visited a tannery that was still using traditional bark tanning methods for making top quality bridal leather. Did anyone see this and remeber who the firm where?

Ben

Tiffers

Mar 10, 2006
Wiltshire
benjamin.oneill said:
I remeber an episode of the fantastic Clarissa and the Countryman when they visited a tannery that was still using traditional bark tanning methods for making top quality bridal leather. Did anyone see this and remeber who the firm where?

Ben

Hmm, it might have been Sedgewicks? Does that ring a bell? They do make nice bridle leather.

Tiffers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE