Leather Trowel-Holster – 2nd Hand Sewn Project

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up All,

For any serious (manual) digging you can’t beat a full size ‘Shovel-GS-Individual’ but there is a place for the smaller foldable versions. One has been a part of my C&E schedule for donkey’s – (forget the cheapo versions – think Glock, Gerber or better still – ex BW!). That stated – I have also frequently carried a mini foldable ‘trowel/pick’ (I refrain from calling it a shovel due to its size!) and it has proven over the years to be a trusty companion (even though I did have to upgrade the rivet attachment with a couple of welds at one point).
It has usually lived in the dark recesses of my rucksack until required for the digging-in of a piece of technical equipment and/or comms cables and has been contained in a rather naff, weak nylon cover. Now that it has been ‘elevated’ to BC status (useful for various tasks i.e. small fire pits, Dakotas, ‘short-walks-alone’ etc), I decided that it was time for it to come into the light and what better way to do it than with my new found interest in leather-craft!
The ‘holster’ shown is based on the much larger BW surplus entrenching tool version, with a few modifications. The studs on the front do the job fine but I found that those on the rear came easily undone when removing the tool whilst wearing it on a belt, hence the addition of an over-strap. (I wanted to keep the studs on the rear to facilitate removal of the holster without the fuss of sliding other items off it).
The project took 16 hours.

Mini Shovel(i).jpg Mini Shovel(ii).jpg Mini Shovel(iii).jpg Mini Shovel(iv).jpg

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up All,

Apologies for this late response to 'BL's' question:

Aye Up BL!

C&E = Clothing and Equipment;
BW = BundesWehr = German armed forces
BH = BundesHeer = Austrian armed forces
BC = BushCraft a la BC UK.

BW (pre flecktarn) & BH surplus C&E are very good sources for Bush-Crafters as kit is usually a plain olive-grey as opposed to camouflage and there tends to be less synthetic material.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE