Leather Trousers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
I got it in my head recently to make a pair of leather trousers, not for motor biking or anything but for when hanging out with the viking and medieval people that make up so much of my leather business.
So about 10 hours of research later, enough to make my archeologist cousin proud, I finally settled on a pattern that someone dragged out of a bog someplace but then modified it and sewed on a permanent belt at the top out of thicker leather and added some of my own touches to this. I also stuck on a flap at the front found in later medieval garments for those nights where the beer and ale is in abundance.
The trousers themselves are made up of many small pieces instead of large sections of leather, allowing them to be snug in areas yet flexible and loose in other areas where it counts. All hand stitched, I wanted to make them look like they were made in a small cabin in the woods by a guy with limited tools and materials which in this case they were.
Usually I like to pre-punch holes for stitching which makes things reasonably easy come sewing time but since the idea was to treat these and make them reasonably water resistant I used an awl instead of a spring punch on the top section and did not punch holes in the actual garment leather. About 30 hours of sewing pieced everything together some areas getting a little blood colored dye. To make them look positively rustic, rudimentary and working class I used a simple running stitch which when used without pre-punched holes actually holds pretty tight and looks the part.
I wear a longer green wool shirt with them when I am out playing reinactor guy so no one actually ever sees the actual detail of the belt part. A friend asked for some photos so I thought I would share.

1391959_10151662677025044_812869669_n.jpg

555824_10151662677565044_1883405676_n.jpg

988774_10151662677775044_1365029135_n.jpg

1450779_10151662677950044_1761039164_n.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
They're a pretty nifty pair of pant's you've got there Llwyd, glad you didn't go down the Necropants line and use human skin! They do look comfy and practical too.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That is my next project Goatboy.

They are significantly more comfortable than I thought they would be.

Note to self, stay away from Eastern Canada! :eek:

Must say that having worn leather armour and bikers leathers I find them very comfortable.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Lovely job mate, and good to see I'm not the only one hand sewing large stuff ^^
To be honest I don't mind at all it's quite a satisfying job isn't it ^^
Anyhow great job, and enjoy the living daylight out of it
Yours sincerely Ruud

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
It likely would have taken less time but being active in the mind I occasionally had to stop to chase squirrels. The cutting and measuring is included in that time too come to think of it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE