Leather Supplies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
It comes by the size of the beast its taken from, thats if you want a lot and, no, they dont chop bits off.

You could ask around if anyone will come in, on a large lump.

They will cut you a very wide strapping, though...
but youre best bet is to get Ben on the phone and let him talk you through it all.

Amazingly helpful fellah.

Ceeg

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
godfather,

I'll go in half and half with you if you want. I've always fancied trying leather working but as I know next to nothing about it, I'll need plenty to practice on!!

PM me if you want,

Cheers,

Alan

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
If you're just starting out in leatherwork, ask them if they have any 'grade B' leather - its usually got marks or scuffs, small holes, and can be less tough, but is usually much cheaper, and you aren't as reluctant to dive in and make mistakes :) Its good for small projects like sheaths etc as you can ofte n cut round the blemishes. (although don't use it for water bottles, or anything that is going to have to put up with a lot of wear).

Remember its also worth getting any tools or extra equipment at the same time, as there's a minimum order amount, and you'll save on postage...

godfather

Nomad
Oct 28, 2003
Hertfordshire
Thanks for the help everyone.

I have spoken to them today and they said that they may have some smaller hides (6sq ft)that will be available. Will let you know what the outcome is. They said that it was buffalo hide which I assume would be ok for my purposes unless anyone knows of any major reason why it could not work!

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
If you're planning on wet-moulding a pouch make sure it's vegetable tanned, otherwise it won't work. I would be very keen to know if they had veg tanned buffalo.

le prevo are great, but don't be fooled into buying too little. Once you've made your first pouch, you'll want to make loads of other stuff so 8sq.ft will dissappear quicker than you think.

They also sell tools pretty cheap (there are plenty of posts telling you what you need, but I would say needles, thread (18/3 linen), awl blades + handle + dye + beeswax would be your minimum 'kit' starting point).

Enjoy.

leon-1

Thanks for the help everyone.

I have spoken to them today and they said that they may have some smaller hides (6sq ft)that will be available. Will let you know what the outcome is. They said that it was buffalo hide which I assume would be ok for my purposes unless anyone knows of any major reason why it could not work!

It depends on what you want to make from it. I have some Water Buffalo from them and it's nice stuff, thinner than you wanted, but still good for smaller pouches and the like. If it's veg tanned it will be a bit stiffer than if it were chrome tanned so once again better for pouches and the like.

At the same time I have about 25 / 26 feet of chrome tanned Bison / Buffalo hide that I imported from the states, it is between 8 and 10 ounce (3.2mm and 4mm) which is more pliable than 1.5mm / 2mm veg tanned water buffalo, before anyone asks it's spoken for as it's being used to make moccasins at this moment in time.

All in All though you should be okay with LePrevo, I have not heard of anyone getting a bum steer of them yet, so give it a try.

godfather

Nomad
Oct 28, 2003
Hertfordshire
Thanks for the advice. To this very day I am stunned at the helpfullness of people on this site.

What thickness do you think I should use for a largish possible pouch that I would like to wet form?

leon-1

Thanks for the advice. To this very day I am stunned at the helpfullness of people on this site.

What thickness do you think I should use for a largish possible pouch that I would like to wet form?

That depends totally on what you class as being "largish".

5 inches high x 4 inches wide by x 1 inch deep, I will quite happily use 2.5mm (6 ounce). 7 Inches high x 6 inches wide x 1.5 - 2 inches deep I will use 3.2mm (8 ounce). In both cases with these I will use veg tanned.

You can also consider hot waxing the formed section that will give rigidity and water proofing to that section that belies the size of the leather (1.5mm will be a lot more rigid after being hot waxed than 3.2mm unless you use a hardener).

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I would agree completely with the leather-meister above.

le prevo do 'columbo' sides which are 2.6mm 2nd quality (and have nothing to do with LAPD):) . I have used these in the past and found them pretty good. They would be perfect for you.

The flaws are few and far between and would only really affect someone making something really big. The skin side is a little coarser than the full-price stuff, but you wouldn't notice unless you had them side-by-side.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I would agree completely with the leather-meister above.

le prevo do 'columbo' sides which are 2.6mm 2nd quality (and have nothing to do with LAPD):) . I have used these in the past and found them pretty good. They would be perfect for you.

The flaws are few and far between and would only really affect someone making something really big. The skin side is a little coarser than the full-price stuff, but you wouldn't notice unless you had them side-by-side.

I bought a side of this myself to "practice on"
in fact, it's really good stuff! it has a more natural skin side, which may or not appeal,but for small pouches , loop's, keyrings and "experiments" it's fine.It wet forms well and takes dye and stamps no bother at all.
You can also get some cracking results by laminating it flesh to flesh.

I'd recommend it for anyone just kicking off

( oh..er...Peter Falk?...you know?.....Columbo?...yes, well, I'm off in the bath)

Regards:D
R.B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE