Leather stacked handle on Enzo Camper?

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Is this advisable for this type of knife shape? how would you go about this for the guard and pommel?

2355.jpg

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
I would say no but them I just thought why not make a block of stacked leather impregnated with epoxy, cut it in half to make 2 scales and use it the normal way. That could be a cool look

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Actually I can see this wont work, if it didn't have the holes in maybe I could shape the blade tang. without the cut outs the handle would be huge too. back to the drawing board.

Last edited:

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
It certainly wouldn't be worth it to regrind the tang on that knife. Start with the proper piece and go from there. Stacked leather handles are wonderful, but trying to cobble something together when it wasn't designed for that is a disaster waiting to happen!

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
If you're set on a stacked handle I would get a different blade, even if it mans selling the camper on.

I think the Taiga is the Enzo model that is the stick tang version of the camper. :)

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
If you're set on a stacked handle I would get a different blade, even if it mans selling the camper on.

I think the Taiga is the Enzo model that is the stick tang version of the camper. :)

Thank for all the replies and Thanks Stew, haven't got the camper, I put together a trapper which is great but just a tad too small, the taiga looks perfect thanks.

As a matter of interest do any of the makers do a scandi/woodlore style blade blank that can have stacked leather handle fitted?

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
As a matter of interest do any of the makers do a scandi/woodlore style blade blank that can have stacked leather handle fitted?

The woodlore style is not suitable for stacked leather as it is a fulltang style. Though a proper scandi style is if the tang is long enough and many tangs are not made that long on hand made blades.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
I think it's a great idea. Stacked leather is softer, warmer and gets more grip when wet or covered in grime/blood. The handle won't be as durable but while it works I think it would be better. There are plenty of old Marbles or K-bar that have lasted the test of time with this style handle.
Don't give up on this, please, I wish i could do it.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have a few stacked leather grips on hammers, the only part that fails is the crappy plastic washers that Estwing in their infinite wisdom:rolleyes: puts in amongst the far harder wearing leather ones.
Personally I would rate leather stacked above timber scales in terms of hardwearing.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
It might if the leather was think enough. something like sole bend or 6-8mm on top of a thicker liner? probably a risk off peeling off if you glued layers, I am sure someone has had a go though.

The stacked type are under a decent amount of pressure from the pommel and cant really go anywhere if they are tight against the tang.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE