leather sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Dip it in hot beeswax, that'll do it nicely; a bit of a performance to melt it and dip the sheath if you don't have a cave/ workshop, and you need to be very careful heating the wax to melt it (only do it outside and by the bain-marie method).

The alternative is to rub it over with a stick of wax and get the heatgun/hairdrier on it to melt it into the leather, being careful not to burn the sheath......a good quality candle will be easy to get hold of and will have a good mix of waxes for the job, but will be mainly beeswax. I hope this helps and let us know how you get on, eh?

kevin1

Jun 17, 2009
Poole
I haven't actually made the sheath yet so would you recommend soaking the leather as a sheet or make the item up and submerging it.what are your thoughts.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Make the item up, wet form it and leave to dry into the finished shape and then do the wax treatment; if you waxed the sheet it'd become soft again during the making.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
If you make the sheath out of veg tan leather an alternative is to finish the sheath, including any stains or dyes, then burnish it all over with something hard, rounded and shiny. For example a shiny piece of steel, the neck of a bottle, a bone folder tool even. Burnishing is just rubbing firmly all over the surface with a firm even pressure. The effect on the leather is to compress it slighty, and make it shiny, and stiffer than it was.

kevin1

Jun 17, 2009
Poole
e9b9f468eb0b1fa727382508d2b7c2f9.jpg
Some pictures a the waxed sheath and knife i made.
6717239fd5832e9e13af5bf25eb36fa0.jpg

Sent from my LG-D722 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE