Leather Rifle Scabbard

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hey folks,

This was a new one for me. I was asked to make a scabbard for a Winchester rifle. All I had to go on was an outline drawing of the rifle and the rest was guesswork. He wanted it to be full length, as snug a fit as possible with a strap over the stock long enough to also take another rifle 4" longer, a shoulder strap with several attachment points, and a handle along the top.

Here is what I came up with, with some pictures from the happy customer :)

HalfGoat Rifle Scabbard 2 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Rifle Scabbard 3 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

20160122_144303 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

20160122_144241 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

20160122_144334 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Thanks for reading :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's beautiful Hamish, really beautiful. I've had the pleasure of handling some lovely antique leather long cases and their contents in the past and always enjoyed the craftsmanship of a bygone day, both visual and tactile that that afforded me. Looking at those pictures I just want to pick that case up and enjoy it. Also know that stunning as it is now that in 10, 50, & 100 years time that its only going to look better.
The owner must be over the moon.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Wow! Always impressed with your work! That is so clean and professional. I imagine the customer couldn't have been more pleased....

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Thanks for the kind words people :)

Very nice - that took a big piece of leather!

It looks as if it's your opinion that saddle rivets are stronger than stitches? Or was that an aesthetic choice?

That's a hard one to answer really. I could certainly have just stitched the whole thing and been happy with that, but I wanted the added security of the rivets at certain stress points. They also help during construction to hold things in place whilst aligning the edges up for stitching.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE