Leather proofing.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
The last of the stockpile of old Nikwax tins is long gone and my bike leathers are dry and creaky. Swung by Crockets there expecting to find something similar among the Grangers range in the saddlery dept but nothing jumped out as being an obvious replacement. They looked just as watery as the new Nikwax.
I use Sno-Seal on my boots. At a push I'll start using it on everything but it doesn't soften the leather as much as the old Nikwax and isn't as easy to apply. Just thought I'd ask in case someone knew something better to try.

The old Nikwax I'm meaning were the tins of gloopy oily stuff. The leathers only had to be heated slightly(back of a chair near the fire or laid outside in the sun) then you'd pour it on a gloop at a time rubbing it in with a cloth. You could tell by the absorption rate if the leather wanted more and wipe excess off easily.
Ideally I'm after something just the same.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Some kind of real soft dubbin is definately a maybe, was eyeing up a few in the shop. Would feed and proof the leather but I'm not sure it'd get as deep into the stitching as a liquid.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Now you're talking. :)
Tempting but the net seems awash with folk saying it'll do leather and stitching a mischief over time with it being animal fat based. My jacket's more that 25 years old and I'll happily wear it for the same again.

Have spied that there's a Nikwax Aqueous Wax that wasn't in the shop. I'll likely have a punt on some of that and see what it's like.
[edit]...or not - it sounds like another watery one.
I just don't fancy the water based proofings. Partly because there's no way they can feed the leather the same way but also the potential cost. Used to get two proofings per tin(gloves and all) but these wee cartons of water based nikwax look like they'd disappear pretty quick into thirsty leather.

Humming and hawing. If I go with Sno-Seal I'll have to invest in a hairdrier. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE