Leather Pouches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
Good Morning all,

I'm dipping my toe into the world of leather craft. I've started by changing the MOD knife sheath from a left hand draw to a right and it seems to have gone well.

For my next project I want to do a small pellet pouch for an air pistol, has anyone had experience with these pouches?

My main concern is what design would prevent them spilling out the top flap even if it is closed, or, is there a standard design that I can't see?

Cheers all.

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
The only real advice I can share is don't aim for "perfection" from the start. Rather, make something, try it in the field (so to speak), see what issues it has, and think creatively to overcome them. I know how that sounds, but trial and error is really your best friend.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Sew in a thin section of leather or canvas around the top of the pouch so you can fit a drawstring.

Cinch that tight when not using and the pellets will stay in the pouch

Reactions: SaraR
Mike McQuilton uses a leather pouch for his lead shot for his slingshot and fire kit and seems to cinch up tight. I think he carrys 14mm shot mind so bigger than your pellets.

He also has a video on how he makes them.

I've made a few of my own of varying sizes but I've used a synthetic leather so I dont need to worry about waterproofing it as often - it's actually made from off cuts of my re-covered motorbike seat.

I found that if you tap in the holes a bit lower and add a longer cinch string (I've used leather lace and wood beads) then you can fold it over and wrap the lace around to make it more of a wrapped package to stop anything falling out. That's actually harder to explain than it is to see.

13:03 and 23:45 in this video shows my firekit and my cooking kit. Both in pouches - the firekit 'wraps up' the cookie just closes. I can grab some close ups. They aren't perfect but they work and serve their purpose well.

Hope that's useful.

MODS: on my phone I cant see this image, only the link. Feel free to remove it if it's not allowed!

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

Last edited:

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
Thanks for the replies, it does look like a drawstring closure would be best, To keep it simple for me I'm going to try a bellowed pouch with leather on the front and back but with canvas flexible parts and drawstring.

I had a bit of a trial of making a tinder pouch over the weekend and I think with some rejigging of process ordering it didn't come out too bad.

20200503_092144.jpg

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Good Morning all,

I'm dipping my toe into the world of leather craft. I've started by changing the MOD knife sheath from a left hand draw to a right and it seems to have gone well.

For my next project I want to do a small pellet pouch for an air pistol, has anyone had experience with these pouches?

My main concern is what design would prevent them spilling out the top flap even if it is closed, or, is there a standard design that I can't see?

Cheers all.

If its for just pellets You could cut a strip of leather and punch a small ' X ' through at regular intervals and just keep a roll of pellets on a feeder strip. Like a GPMG belt. Going to stop them falling out and be a bit more secure in the process.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE