Leather pouch (possible pouch?)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
The tools that I used are in the photo below

115459456_4c6c62bdd1.jpg

Most of the specialized leather tools and leather I obtained from a leather supplier in London. They are

J T Bachelor & Co. Ltd. 9-10 Culford Mews, London N1. UK

singteck

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
I see that you are in Switzerland. If you can't find a leather merchant near you, you could try www.leprevo.co.uk. I personally have not bought anything from them but I do find that their prices are reasonable (cheaper in fact).

You only need one book to get you started. If you read all the post here, you wouldn't need any. But a book for reference to start off is still a good idea. The one and only book I have is "The Leatherworking Handbook" by Valerie Michael. Not the best but better then a lot.

What you really need is to buy some leather and try it out. I have been doing it on and off for 2 years now and I am still doing simple projects.

It's fun, try it. But it does hurt the fingers (mine hurts anyway, don't know about you).

singteck

RGRBOX

Forager
singteck said:
I see that you are in Switzerland. If you can't find a leather merchant near you, you could try www.leprevo.co.uk. I personally have not bought anything from them but I do find that their prices are reasonable (cheaper in fact).

You only need one book to get you started. If you read all the post here, you wouldn't need any. But a book for reference to start off is still a good idea. The one and only book I have is "The Leatherworking Handbook" by Valerie Michael. Not the best but better then a lot.

What you really need is to buy some leather and try it out. I have been doing it on and off for 2 years now and I am still doing simple projects.

It's fun, try it. But it does hurt the fingers (mine hurts anyway, don't know about you).

singteck

Thanks a million.. I've worked with almost everything in my 37 years, but leather is one of the things I've yet to do... my goal is to get started.. It will allow me to work on project in the house while the weather is bad, during the winter months.. I've too much snow att he moment to get outside on my terrace to do any wood work..

RGRBOX

Forager
Your right about that... I got myself a hand made pouch for my belt last year at a Gun Show in Lausanne, Switzerland for 65.-- Chf.. I think I can make my own to fit with what I need it for, for less money... and I will enjoy doing the work myself..

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Nice work i've been contemplating similar projects to both your designs I like the cylinder mine is going to be a bit larger diameter but not that disimilar

James

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
That is some beautiful pouch work. I have made a few pouches, but in order to do the end pieces, I preformed the leather to get the ends and sides to lie flat together.

pouch5b.jpg

I wasn't sure from your images how you did this. Did you punch your holes at an angle in the side plates, or just sew them up as is? I have one pouch like that from a kit I made. The leather was a bit more flexible and the waxed thread was really heavy and when I drew it tight, the side pieces came in and when finished, the side piece was U shaped. I'm very interested in your methods!

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
The side pieces is punched at an angle. I don't measure it but it exit on the side of the leather just before the back face so that the tread does not show.

I think the main problem that you are facing is drawing the stitches too tight. The stitches shouldn't be tight at all. Just make sure there's no slag. Easier said then done actually. If you look properly you can see that the leather on the side is a little U shaped as well. I have lots of practive to do. WIll design and make another tonight to try out my new stitching clamp.

singteck

PS: nice pouch, I have been trying to make compartments in my pouches as well but would like to see some design where the stitches doesn't show.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
singteck said:
PS: nice pouch, I have been trying to make compartments in my pouches as well but would like to see some design where the stitches doesn't show.

I was contemplating this the other night. My thought was that you could make the front/back walls of the pouch double-walled, then stitch the internal compartments to the inner wall (wouldn't need to be thick leather, could be thinner stuff) and then stitch the inner wall to the external one as part of the side-seams - don't know how well this would work.

When sewing at 45 degree angle, how do you punch your holes into the side pieces at an angle - with an awl/punch/drill, by eye or with some kind of measure? I'm interested to see how this is done without needing to soak/pre-form the leather sides.

EDIT: just looked again at your photos - makes it all clear :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE