Leather Journal with Celtic Knotwork

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Well way back I made a leather journal cover

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23987

Crazy as it may seem some people might not want a SotP badge embossed on them :O I know, crazy talk but still true. So I looked for alternative pattern I could try and came up with Celtic Knotwork. I found just the thing for designing knots here

http://www.clanbadge.com/ details of how it works is here http://www.clanbadge.com/how.htm

I got the truetype font for making up these patterns and did a few tests on coasters. Happy with the results it was time to do a full journal cover. Here is the result. it is hand stitched with artificial sinew and made pretty much as the tutorial. the embossing is designed using the font I mentioned above but done pretty much as Thomas's belt embossing tutorial (on British Blades).

So here are the pictures

journal2_1.jpg

journal2_2.jpg

journal2_3.jpg

journal2_4.jpg

journal2_5.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh nice, very nice indeed :approve:

How long did it take ?

I take it you're coming to the next re-enactors market for supplies then ?

atb,
Mary

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Wow :eek: - top work John - that looks really great!

(still like your sotp logo though;))

MagiKelly

How long did it take ?

Roughly an hour measuring and cutting the parts.

Maybe about 8 hours marking tracing out the pattern, tracing it onto the leather, cutting the pattern then stamping it out,

Then about 4 hours stitching it all together and half an hour finishing the edges and waxing.

I take it you're coming to the next re-enactors market for supplies then ?

I was just going to give Russell a list :D

MagiKelly

I love the way that you've done the spine.

Thanks. Part of this was as I thought it worked as a design and part was because it helped with a slight problem. The font used to create the patterns is infinitely and minutely scalable but getting to the exact ratio of width to height I wanted was a bit of a footer.

So I got it to the right height and pretty much the right width (actually slightly too wide). When I traced the first half i just traced it to the start of the straight bits at the spine. Then slid the leather along a bit so it was under the pattern on the second side and continued the tracing. So in effect i took about 15mm out of the centre section. And as you say it has worked out well. I think the basic pattern continuing over the spine would not have been nearly as good.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Well, I've had a play about with the font, and it has surpassed all my expectations.
I did this in about fifteen minutes. It's the template layout for one of my waxed leather tankards. This would normally have been four or five hours work.

stag-knot.jpg

It will allow me to start offering tooled knotwork on the stuff I make as it has become affordable now.

One of the best online purchases I have ever made.

Technical note: I managed to bend the knotwork by first taking it into CorelDraw9, converting it to curves (which makes it a vector graphic) then setting a path for it to follow. Using this method, you can chase knotwork borders round curves and awkward shapes.

Like this:

knot-sample.jpg

The top and bottom knotworks are exactly the same. I've just reshaped the bottom one to suit my exact needs.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE