Leather hilt wrapping question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi all,

I know there are a few re-enactors and historical swordy types on here and I was hoping for some advise.

I have just picked up a Viking style sword (and I use the term loosely as it's the cold steel one) for practice cutting and some solo drills but am finding the the handle (wood and leather wrapped) quite thin and that its rubbing heavily on my palm, a glove helps but I would prefer to use it barehanded.

I also have a 15 century single handed sword back from when I used to practice HEMA which has a substantially thicker grip and is much more comfortable so I am thinking of increasing the size of the grip by wrapping in some sort of leather.

My questions are -
Do I need to remove the current leather wrapping first?
What sort of leather is best to use?
What's the best thing to use to stick the leather?

I could use something like a racquet grip but would prefer something a bit more traditional.

Cheers, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If the "feel" of the handle is anything like fine-tuning a Pacific Northwest wood carving tool:
The ideal handle size is such that the tips of your second and third fingers just touch the fat ball part of your thumb.
I have big hands and long fingers and arthritis is sneaking in = skinny handles hurt.
Building PacNW crooked wood carving knives for myself, I need to begin with a blank of 7/8" square.
I don't have to squeeze very much at all to have a confident grip. I can manage 3/4" OK but 1" is too big.

See if you can find a roll of what we call "Vet-Wrap". This is a slightly sticky, stretchy mesh elasic bandage material used by veterinarians (among others I suppose.)
Wrap the sword handle to bulk it up and work with it. Add more, take some off, etc.

Measure the size and shape when you feel that you've got it right then peel off the VetWrap.
I'd guess that thin wet leather, shrunk when dried, would make up a nice grip.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE