Leather handmade water bladder/carrier

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Does anyone have any patterns or youtube video links for making a soft leather water bladder/carrier?
There is a great thread here: http://www.bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12237
but I fancy something a little softer so it can fold up when not in use - would it be possible to adapt the hard leather technique to something softer I wonder?

thanks.

If you are using a plastic bladder, you can use that template, but leave the bottom two inches unstitched so you can add/remove the bladder. Then just lace up the gap. You can use any soft leather for this. Waterproofing in this case is not an issue. The bladder takes care of that. If the bladder is an awkward size, use it as a template and cut the leather round it.

Eric

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Would it be possible to use just the leather without the plastic? On the US thread above, the whole pouch is treated with wax to make it waterproof, but I am guessing that a flexible leather pouch would make wax crack, so I am looking for another way to waterproof it.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Oh wow, Eric Methven - the very same person who posted the original thread on the US site! I have just made the connection - I love the leather water bottle! so inspiring.........

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Oh wow, Eric Methven - the very same person who posted the original thread on the US site! I have just made the connection - I love the leather water bottle! so inspiring.........

Hahaha! The penny dropped Louisa. Yes, I do tend to get around a bit. Anyway, I've Skyped you. To answer your question though, if you want a soft flexi bag, forget waxing. Wax goes hard, and if flexed will crack. Not good.

Eric

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Ok, so can I make a soft and flexible leather pouch that holds water or should I forget it and stick to camelbacks?

p.s. do you still make and sell the rigid leather water bottles?

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Ok, so can I make a soft and flexible leather pouch that holds water or should I forget it and stick to camelbacks?

p.s. do you still make and sell the rigid leather water bottles?

Yes I do still make and sell them. I'm making a new batch next week after I finish a commission for some egyptian middle kingdom leather armour. I'll put a couple up on the makers market (they go for £40 each). Keep watching the makers market or PM me as this is not the forum to discuss business dealings.

Eric

Bucketosudz

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2010
UT-USA
Eric's tutorial is one of the easiest to follow and produces a wonderful product if you should give it a try yourself. I have made one myself following his instructions and works Great!

Of course having one he has built would be even better however :)

Last edited:

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Yes I do still make and sell them. I'm making a new batch next week after I finish a commission for some egyptian middle kingdom leather armour. I'll put a couple up on the makers market (they go for £40 each). Keep watching the makers market or PM me as this is not the forum to discuss business dealings.

Eric

Great I will keep my eye out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE