Leather Gloves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock

Feb 20, 2011
Scotland
Hi,

Does anyone have any suggestions for a pair of leather gloves? Good enough for working outdoors throughout winter.

I have been looking at Hestra Falt Guide Gloves, but they are very expensive and also difficult to buy.

Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Does anyone have any suggestions for a pair of leather gloves? Good enough for working outdoors throughout winter.

In what temperature range do you expect to work? Personally I never use gloves during winter but mittens as they keep the hands warmer. Anyhow I buy mine from store that sells gloves and mittens for welders; a pair of leather gloves from unknown manufacturer costs around 3£.

Hammock

Feb 20, 2011
Scotland
Hi,

I work out side throughout Scotland everyday of the year, from the summit plateau of the cairngorms to sea level at campbelltown. As a result I can experience a very wide range of temperatures, particularly through wind chill, but the air temperature of the last few winters has been enough by itself. Work doesn't stop for any weather, and I need to use my fingers so mittens don't always work. Over the years, I have tried all sorts of "performance" mountain gloves through to basic gardening gloves, but they all fail pretty quickly under these conditions!

I haven't tried welders gloves though, so will give it a shot.

Thanks

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I bought some of these recently to keep in my pack. They're insulated like welders gauntlets, but IMO look much better. They're excellent for handling hot pots in the fire, but I've not worn them in the cold. Still, for the price they may be worth a go.

eje9611704k.eps.jpg

http://www.cromwell.co.uk/EJE9611708P

Last edited:

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
I use this kind of thing quite a lot in winter and find them to be ok;

http://www.arco.co.uk/products/1266400/29420/HOGZ+Men's+Lined+Pig+Grain+Driver's+Glove

They do "wet out" but they are cheap so I carry several pairs and swap em. I wear them for scottish winter climbing so thats your Cairngorm box ticked. I also have fancy expensive gloves as well , Hestra , Black Diamond ect but to avoid trashing them I use and abuse the cheap stuff and save the expensive ones for belays and walk in/ out.

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
I use this kind of thing quite a lot in winter and find them to be ok;

http://www.arco.co.uk/products/1266400/29420/HOGZ+Men's+Lined+Pig+Grain+Driver's+Glove

You can get this type anywhere as arco are pricy.

They do "wet out" but they are cheap so I carry several pairs and swap em. I wear them for scottish winter climbing so thats your Cairngorm box ticked. I also have fancy expensive gloves as well , Hestra , Black Diamond ect but to avoid trashing them I use and abuse the cheap stuff and save the expensive ones for belays and walk in/ out.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I find fingerless gloves - eg cheapo cycling gloved from Aldi - can be ok for a lot of the time - when it gets really cold my plan is to put some loose fitting gloves on top or mittens - then take the outer ones off when necessary without exposing all of my hands to the elements.

I may even tie the two outer gloves onto a piece of string - like kids have them.

Not actually done the outer glove thing yet though - just an idea

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I use kayaking gloves - grippy & waterproof. For rougher stuff, I had some "Tough Duck" gloves from the States that were awesome but I eventually wore through them and can't find them in the UK

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Why don't you go for some british army issue leather gloves? Soft black leather, pretty tough, and goretex lined. Not unbelievably warm, but if you are going for a leather glove you will know that anyhow....

e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-A...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item1e67b49804

The old original issue ones were green, the newer ones are black. Until reletively recently they have a nylon wrist strap to tighten them, now omitted in the latest models. They do stretch a bit, so don't be over generous on the size you select.

Make sure you are getting the goretex (combat '95) issue version, and not the previous unlined version with the knitted cuff (or a remake of the old Northern Ireland gloves with the padded knuckle).

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I bought some of these recently to keep in my pack. They're insulated like welders gauntlets, but IMO look much better. They're excellent for handling hot pots in the fire, but I've not worn them in the cold. Still, for the price they may be worth a go.

eje9611704k.eps.jpg

http://www.cromwell.co.uk/EJE9611708P

Just bought a couple of pairs of these - they're not terribly warm but seem sturdy enough

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Why don't you go for some british army issue leather gloves? Soft black leather, pretty tough, and goretex lined. Not unbelievably warm, but if you are going for a leather glove you will know that anyhow....

e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-A...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item1e67b49804

The old original issue ones were green, the newer ones are black. Until reletively recently they have a nylon wrist strap to tighten them, now omitted in the latest models. They do stretch a bit, so don't be over generous on the size you select.

Make sure you are getting the goretex (combat '95) issue version, and not the previous unlined version with the knitted cuff (or a remake of the old Northern Ireland gloves with the padded knuckle).

Concur. They are reasonably warm, waterproof and do not impair dexterity much. I have read that they cost the Government £40 a pair.

German miltary leather gloves are also good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE