Leather for knife sheaths.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hello Guys 'n' Girls,

I am after enough veg tanned leather to make 3 knife sheaths for my 3 new damascus knives I have just bought and soon to re-handle, so if anyone can help me out and as I don't really have anything for swaps if the price is right I would be very grateful if someone could help me out.

Thanks

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
i am curious as to where to source good leather also. where do most people get it? i see a few posts around with people exchanging leather, which is great, but where are people getting it outside the forums (and don't say "off a pig/cow" etc) its actually something my mom wants to get into, is leatherwork, but sourcing leather is a problem. the local spastics in the gun club just burn what they kill, or just leave it where it drops, so she cannot get anything off them.

joejoe

On a new journey
Jan 18, 2007
washington
i am curious as to where to source good leather also. where do most people get it? i see a few posts around with people exchanging leather, which is great, but where are people getting it outside the forums (and don't say "off a pig/cow" etc) its actually something my mom wants to get into, is leatherwork, but sourcing leather is a problem. the local spastics in the gun club just burn what they kill, or just leave it where it drops, so she cannot get anything off them.

hello been lurking for months time i said hello. sorry but this post has realy upset me,n01,spastic my wife is epelctic. 2 my grandson has autism , and no 3 i am agun nut. apart from that this is the best site i know:eek:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Got to agree that this use of insult is not to my idea of civilized behaviour.
Calling them "wasteful mush brains" would be fine though......
Let us not use the afflictions of the unfortunate be used to describe the thoughtless arses of this world - it demeans all but those it is meant to!
I should point out that I do relief work for Mencap and fine the guys I work for some of the nicest, generous and loving people I have ever met.

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
hello been lurking for months time i said hello. sorry but this post has realy upset me,n01,spastic my wife is epelctic. 2 my grandson has autism , and no 3 i am agun nut. apart from that this is the best site i know:eek:

1, spastic is a general insult to used for the local "gun-nuts" in sligo, who waste good deer because of laziness/ lack of respect for the animal, and not aimed at you (unless previous statement is a good description) or your wife, or your grandson, so i appologise for any insult you felt through my liberal use of the word "spastic",
2.my own mother has m.s. so i am hardly going around beating on the disabled. what would be the point, as there are plenty of able-bodied (using the term loosely) people i can beat on instead.
3, as for my use of the English language. i am pretty "post structuralist" in my approach to meaning.
hope that clears a few things up :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
:) No - "spastic" is a clearly defined word meaning a certain type of physical disability lately used as an insult - so much that "The Spastic Society" had to change its name.
Using this term is as an insult is going to upset people that are not the target of your rightful dischuffedness.
I am not out to give you a hard time, just friendly advice as I don't want any nasty little slanging matches or upset folk on this , the friendliest of sites.
And is it wise to badmouth people with bad attitudes who also have guns and an obvious disregard for what they shoot?:AR15firin

LePrevo is THE place for leather and all the bits to go with it.
I also haunt charity shops for old bags and such which can be bargains for small projects.:)

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
as for "spastic", i have apologized for insult caused, and explained the reasoning behind my words. end of story.
as re;
:)
And is it wise to badmouth people with bad attitudes who also have guns and an obvious disregard for what they shoot?:AR15firin
yes, it is. for all it takes for evil to succeed if for the good to do nothing. having false respect for someone just because they have a gun is cowardice. and such comments can easily be interpreted as veiled threats. but like i said, i have a post-structuralist approach to the English language, and i am sure that just because i took something to be a threat/insult, i am sure you didn't mean it that way.

these are just my views on stuff. take them as just that. i am not here to make enemies, but i will speak my mind. if i self edited everything i say to the point of perfect p.c.then i might as well not bother speaking at all. (some may like that)

on an aside, did you know that "political correctness" started out as a joke? i laughed so hard when i heard that.

thanks for advice on leather by the way.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hello Guys 'n' Girls,

I am after enough veg tanned leather to make 3 knife sheaths for my 3 new damascus knives I have just bought and soon to re-handle, so if anyone can help me out and as I don't really have anything for swaps if the price is right I would be very grateful if someone could help me out.

Thanks

So after all that, can we get back to my original request!:rolleyes:

Thanks as always John for the advice and for the offer of leather, I will see you on Tuesday.
If anyone else has any leather good enough to make knife sheaths lying around that I could buy at a reasonable price I would be very grateful.
Thankyou again.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yo Irish!
Political correctness did not only start as a joke it IS a joke! At least it is laughable!

As to veiled threats - non intended but merely asking how safe you were from the berks with guns that you mentioned...

I have no intention of censoring anyones right to speak their mind, but let us all do so in a non insulting/predudicial way - that does not mean you have to change your opinions in the least!

As to the hides, what method of curing them would you be thinking of using (if you got any), would you be thinking of brain tanning and if so would you be able to aquire the brain easily?
Attleborough Accessories do a chemical tanning kit which I am itching to try out but the hide I was prommissed never arrived! I was going to use this as no one offered me a brain (no comments! - I AM the scarecrow!)
If you ever get over to Wales - give me a shout, I know some great little bivvi spots and good walks close to the Fishguard Ferry terminal.

Greg
Do you fancy going halves on one of the bits of leather you sourced on the Bay of Evil - the exchequer might stretch that far.....or would you rather have a play on some scraps before you decide?
See you Tues.
John

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yo Irish!
Political correctness did not only start as a joke it IS a joke! At least it is laughable!

As to veiled threats - non intended but merely asking how safe you were from the berks with guns that you mentioned...

I have no intention of censoring anyones right to speak their mind, but let us all do so in a non insulting/predudicial way - that does not mean you have to change your opinions in the least!

As to the hides, what method of curing them would you be thinking of using (if you got any), would you be thinking of brain tanning and if so would you be able to aquire the brain easily?
Attleborough Accessories do a chemical tanning kit which I am itching to try out but the hide I was prommissed never arrived! I was going to use this as no one offered me a brain (no comments! - I AM the scarecrow!)
If you ever get over to Wales - give me a shout, I know some great little bivvi spots and good walks close to the Fishguard Ferry terminal.

Greg
Do you fancy going halves on one of the bits of leather you sourced on the Bay of Evil - the exchequer might stretch that far.....or would you rather have a play on some scraps before you decide?
See you Tues.
John

To be honest I'd rather have a play around first - But of cause I will pay you for the leather I use (Couple of tins of Tomato & Basil Soup!:D )
But by the looks of it I think it would be cheaper and safer in the long run to go halves on an order with Leprevo because you never know what the leather will be like from Evilbay!

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
Yo Irish!

merely asking how safe you were from the berks with guns that you mentioned...

as re my safety; i am, figuratively speaking "bullet proof". one of the main "berks" is going out with my sister (said sister dyed her hair blond. we asked her if the dye seeped in. she said "what do you mean?" we took that as a yes) she has no taste in men.
the local village thinks i am a total psycho. i don't know why. probably because of those times we have been seen flying around the place in "borrowed" army 4x4's covered in kayaks and stuffed with screaming loonys. ya. that was back in my real loony days when i was a teenager, but reputations stick.

as re; curing the hide, we would probably have to brain tan. getting salt peter in Ireland is tricky, as it is an ingredient in the kind of home cooking the Irish have become famous for. lol. acquiring the brain shouldn't be hard. its in the head of the animal you kill. after all, every animal has enough brain to tan its own hide, supposedly. i dunno. i would leave that to my brother. he is the one who loves playing with dead things. his favorite party trick is peeling a rabbit to its waist, then uses it as a puppet. funny enough, it is not a big hit with the ladies.

as re; wales, careful, i might take you up on that offer. i have only been to wales once, and thought it was beautiful. would love a better look around. might organise a little trip over with some of the other irish lads around here....if you are really unlucky. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE