Leather Finishes

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
I've been using Lord Sheraton Pure Beeswax Balsam on my sheaths for a few years and can't fault it. It seals the leather and polishes up great and only £2.50 from Sainsburys.

Dazcon.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Depends on the quality of the leather..........

The good stuff I usually just oil with Neatsfoot Oil, leave to dry a little and wax to seal. the not so good stuff I tend to dye then oil and wax.

I bought a tub of Renapur leather balsam years ago to use on my horses tack and now use it on my leather goods.

this stuff - http://www.renapur.com/SITE/home_1.asp

The few leather tankards that I've made are all sealed with hot melted Beeswax to waterproof them, it smells great:D

Richard

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I either use Mink oil and then polish with a good quality shoe polish or a hot beeswax dip which as Richard say's smells lovely (well I think so but the girls of the family don't seem so keen of 'that smell'!

Yeh I watched Paul try to wax my bottle at the moot but unfortunately it frazzled, must have been moisture still left in it. I will have to give it a go myself, just need to try and not make a mess of the kitchen.

So if mink oil softens the leather, how does that affect any wet-moulding that you may have done?

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Yeh I watched Paul try to wax my bottle at the moot but unfortunately it frazzled, must have been moisture still left in it. I will have to give it a go myself, just need to try and not make a mess of the kitchen.

So if mink oil softens the leather, how does that affect any wet-moulding that you may have done?

I was banned from Hot waxing in the kitchen:nono: due to the mess I made the first time. I now cover the floor with a sheet of hard board, cover the worktop in newspaper, line the bottom of the oven in foil but still end up having to clean the hob:eek:

Oiling doesn't tend to spoil wet forming it does sometimes take away the nice click of stiff leather, but makes the leather more elastic.

Richard

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire

lol - I know what you mean about the mess........
ashamed053611282jy0.gif

frazzled bottle....... sounds like the wax was too hot and 'cooked' the leather

I don't find it softens it much (if at all) I apply it sparingly with a cloth and it is not oily like it suggests, it is kind of like a 'stiffer' nikwax if that makes sense.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE