Leather dye

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Leather dye is a particularly "runny" liquid fella. Trying to bottle up a small amount to stick in the post could end in tears... :)

Seems like you are getting into the leather working side of things anyway, so why not treat yourself to a browse through Le Prevo's site and order what you want from there? http://www.leprevo.co.uk/index.html The 4oz bottles of Fiebings Leather Dye are less than £3 each.

I'd go for perhaps black and mid brown. If the mid brown comes up lighter than you want just put another coat of it on. Every layer makes the work that bit darker (Practice on some scraps first)

The only thing to watch out for is the name of the company. Having bought some kit from them some time ago I had an unrelated query on my credit card statement. I rang the CC company and the girl there started to list off the items on the bill. When she mis-read it slightly she collapsed into fits of giggles after reading that I jhad apparently spent a fair amount of money at... "Le PERVO Leathers" ! :lmao: :lmao:

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Unfortunatley I don't have the money to get anything from le prevo as they have a minimum order amount. If anyone is going to be putting an order in soon though if they added a bottle of dye to their order I could send them the cash to cover the cost plus postage :rolleyes:

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Dave, I'm going to put a small amount of ground black walnut hull in an envelope for you and post it off to you. It's a powder traditionally used to make a deep brown or black dye and can by either used to dye cloth or leather.

To make a leather dye, you'll need a half bottle of the cheapest vodka you can find. You put the dye powder in the vodka and give it a shake. Leave it in there for a week or so, shaking a couple of times every day. After a week, strain it through a coffee filter or double layer of kitchen paper to filter out the sediment. That'll give you a dark brown dye. To make black dye, do the same but add a walnut size lump of fine steel wool (shredded). The tanin in the walnut hull will react with the steel and make it jet black.

Check on the 'net' for other techniques for making walnut hull dye as well as the way I've described it is not the only way. Also Toddy might have a better way of making leather dye using walnut husk. Did the other package arrive by the way?

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE