leather colouring help...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
just dyed my first sheath which came out really well, its sort of a tiger stripe effect with light tan leather (original colour) and dark dark brown/black...

i used iron tablits to dye the sheath and shoe polish to cover up the light areas so the dye did not take....:)

my question is this:- if i use wax will it make the sheath darker and/or is it ok to use oil instead or after the wax???

i understand the wax will help keep the shape to hold the blade, this may be lost with the oil, but what effect will they both have on the colour is my main problem....

thanks for any help lasses and gents...

regards..

chris.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
hi lannyman, if you just want to darken the whole lot down a tad, you can put some fiebings caranuba cream on it mate, that will take all the colours down maybe two shades, as for the wax do you mean you want to wax dip it, so that the sheath keeps its shape, the bees wax will do this, but it makes it very hard to the touch, it will darken the sheath a little but not to much.
i hope this helps, if you have any more questions just let me no, i'm more than willing to help.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Hi Chris,

Looks good mate:)

As for the treatment it depends:rolleyes:

If you just wax if by rubbing a Beeswax based balm on it it will stay some where near the same colour.

If you Oil it with neatfoot oil it will go darker, but may go lighter as the oil dries out.

And Lastly if you dipped it in hot metled beeswax it will set rock hard and go a dark golden brown

Personally I'd just use a beeswax polish or a neutral/clear shoe polish it keep the colour;)

Rich

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
oh ok, i have some natural bees wax baced boot protection, i might try that...

if i use that though will the leather not move and change shape or will it stay how it is shape wise????????????

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
awesome thanks dudes, Stu i will wait till 2 moz when the leather is dry because its getting lighter by the moment....:)

will see how it looks in the morning before i finish it of, might need to re treat it with the iron mix????

see how it goes in the morning.....

twofeathers

Jan 17, 2011
macks creek,mo
Hello,I know you are past the leather coloring stage...But leather dye is made from boiled walnut hulls.Pecan hulls make A lighter shade of color.Put walnut hulls in A not so great pot to simmer in.({your wife's favorite cooking pot will get you vamoused from the house.And you may want to do it outside.lol.I do alot of leather work,instead of buying expensive leather dye....I make my own.Just skim off the hulls after boiling,and the yucky residue that floats ontop.wa-lahh...leather dye. Neatsfoot oil will supple the leather,turn it darker,It will also deteriorate the stitching if the item is left in the sun for A while.Like A saddle dressed with neatsfoot oil,the first thing that breaks is the stitching on it.Also lexol works great to soften the leather,find it in your local tack store.not that I know anything,cause I don't...lol...But anything I can do to help I will do gladly,P.S. the morels are out in Missouri.time to go to the woods. two feathers....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE