Leather Braid help

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Hi all :)

My partner has been asking me about round braids and whether I could do them as she wants me to make her a braided leather collar for our Shih Tzu. Apparently round collars are better on long haired dogs.

Anyway, I had a bit of thonging I'd made while trying out my lacemaker tool so I gave it a go.

braid002a.jpg

Got the braid done reasonably well but now I'm stuck! How do you take 4 separate pieces of leather thonging and securely connect them together? As I said, it's for a collar so I'd want one end to take a buckle and the other flat for the holes.

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
Finally - photo's did not turn out fantastic but here a link to the tutorial It is 6mb in size due to the photo's but have included bits about lace making/preperation.

See what you think of it and please tell me if it was of use or if it could be improved - first time I've done a tutorial this big.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I made this a few years ago and wrote a tutorial about how I did it too It's on this site somewhere...

Braiding&

sheath109.jpg

I suggest you get hold of one of these books, I like the Braiding fine leather as a beginner book.

sheath107.jpg

personally I'd start from the buckle and use that to wrap the laces round so 2 strings make 4 laces, 4 strings make 8 laces etc. Like Troy has done.
Then change to round for most of it if you want and then back to flat for the end, back braiding to loose the ends. you could always put an edging braid round it to finish it off too.

Have a go, it's not as bad as it looks honestly;)

Cheers

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE