Leather and pouch help please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stratts

Forager
Nov 2, 2010
Yaxley, Peterborough
I have bought myself some leather offcuts to try and make some pouches for firesteels, pellets, etc, but it is not as supple (sp) as I'd hoped.

If I keep working some dubbin into it will it soften up?

If not what can I use if anything to make it easier to use?

Cheers

Stratts

vildor

Nov 6, 2010
Portugal - Lisbon
If it's veg tanned you can soak it to make it more soft and mold it.

Just mark the stitches, drill'em and stitch away. Then wetform it. Easiest way really.

But what type of leather do you have exactly? And what type of pouches you trying to make?

Stratts

Forager
Nov 2, 2010
Yaxley, Peterborough
I am not sure what it is mate. I bought a bag full off ebay and there's all sorts in there. Even some real zebra with hairs on it!!

Pouches are gonna be basic ones for firesteels, tinder, etc, but after looking last night I think these bits are too thick. I reckon they'll be good for knife sheaths, wallets, that kind of thing. I'll try and find out how they've been tanned.

I like the idea of a zebra knife sheath, something different!!

Cheers

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
I have the opposite problem, I have some thick 4mm leather thats just a bit flexable for my liking. I wanted to make a nice rigid leather sheath and a pouch with the other piece but this is a bit soft. Never mind, Ill try anyway

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE