Learning to butcher and prepare game in the field - in or around Cumbria / North West

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodzman

Feb 11, 2012
United Kingdom
Hi all I am passionate about food and outdoor living. I'm in Cumbria and I would like to learn to butcher, prepare... and possibly cook game in the field - fur and feather.

I have come across a couple of game butchery courses on the web but they seem to be based in shiny / stainless steel kitchens, taught by celebrity chefs and aimed at those who live in big country houses - they also come with big matching price tags as well!

Ideally I would like to find someone who would be prepared to invite me out on one or more of their forays and share some of their skills. Alternatively, I would be looking at paying for a reasonably priced course or other form of instruction.

Any ideas or suggestions are most welcome.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Hi all I am passionate about food and outdoor living. I'm in Cumbria and I would like to learn to butcher, prepare... and possibly cook game in the field - fur and feather.

I have come across a couple of game butchery courses on the web but they seem to be based in shiny / stainless steel kitchens, taught by celebrity chefs and aimed at those who live in big country houses - they also come with big matching price tags as well!

Ideally I would like to find someone who would be prepared to invite me out on one or more of their forays and share some of their skills. Alternatively, I would be looking at paying for a reasonably priced course or other form of instruction.

Any ideas or suggestions are most welcome.

Can't help with courses in the North west but .........

In the Midlands (Coventry) the kind of thing you are looking for costs about £80 for a one day course

http://woodsmanbushcraft.co.uk/index.php?id=2&sub=4

Additionally I recently went on a Winter Skills weekend with Woodland Ways and that included game preparation. They also run a weekend course specifically on foraging etc that might suit but it costs £245

http://www.woodland-ways.co.uk/book-online-wild-food-foraging-and-preparation-weekend-253.html

And is further away from you near Oxford

Davidn

Forager
Jan 19, 2009
Sussex
Try contacting your local Gamekeeper, they are usually a wealth of knowledge which can be shared over a pint or two ;-)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE