Learning ID skills

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
Ok, I'm starting a Masters course in conservation in September and a few modules include plant/insect ID... I have no skills in this region... I may struggle...

How do people on here learn plant names? Can anyone recommend any books for identification ?

Cheers.
Matt

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
The most academic field guide to vascular plants is Francis Rose "The Wild Flower Key"; he also does a book on grasses, sedges and rushes which is very good.

You'll find much of what you need in these books. The Latin names are all included and there are dichotomous keys to aid with identification.

You'll also need a good tree book. The Collins one is good and the Dorling Kindersley one isn't bad either. You'll find similar ones for invertebrates. All have both Latin (Linnaean Taxonomy) and common names.

One study book you'll probably find useful is "Managing Habitats for Conservation" by Sutherland and Hill.

The only way I can think of to remember Latin names and ID things is repetition (but if anybody else has a good method let us know ;) ). Having somebody teach you how to use dichotomous keys (if you don't know already) is useful. You'll need know a little bit of botany to get your head around the descriptions. It's a bit of an effort but you learn to look for certain key features and this really helps your recognition skills.

The Field Studies Council do an excellent range of laminated fold out field guides that are simple to use. I really like them as they are waterproof and you can just take the guide out with you of things you are looking for that day.

http://www.field-studies-council.org/publications/foldout.aspx

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Not recomending a book here .... but ... From a bushcraft point of view, I'd learn 1 plant or tree a week and keep notes.... find a plant/tree, identify it, learn its food/edibility value (or learn its toxicity), medicinal value, and its craft uses .... by the end of the year you will have 52 known flora.

Also check back on the things you have learned through the seasons so you can identify a tree in winter without leaves, or a plant in spring when it is just comming up.

Ed

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I approach things from two directions. I look at plant books and see things whose names
I might have heard of but wouldn't be able to recognise and absorb a little bit of info about
them, but tend to forget it. Also I visit the local flowers and photograph them (carefully,
not disturbing them or their soil-mates too much!) and then google for things like "purple
flowers" and add supplemental descriptors like 'large' or 'small' etc.

Last year I was puzzled by a very strange looking flower that I didn't recognise and I
managed to ID it by googling for "odd flowers" as someone else had photographed it
and thought it was odd too - it turned out to be the third plant from the left on the
bottom http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=odd+flowers and I have since found that
this is a Passiflora caerulea.

So I have half remembered flowers in my head that might spark something when I'm
out 'in the field' and I've got candidate flowers for IDing later with the interweb and the
books and this is my method of expanding my knowledge bit by bit, nibbling away at
either end :D

I also find that I'm starting to notice more things about the plant - obvious things like
size of flower and leaf, but also shade of leaf and shininess / hairiness etc. etc.
whereas previously I wasn't really seeing this. Leaf shape can be helpful in directing
you to the relevant part of a book - for example there are lots of geranium leaves that,
even though they look quite different, have something about them that makes you think
'geraniumish'.

Also - I look here and see pictures and name suggestions offered by others, here's
an example of a similar thread:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23075

At the moment I've got a small list of local plants that I'm pretty confident with including
alkanet, ragwort (couple of types I think), shepherd's purse, herb robert, larkspur, lesser
periwinkle (my excursions are fairly local and there are a lot of gardens with lovely flowers
in - I take nature as I can hehe), and yarrow was a recent discovery.

Sometimes the Latin names give clues about the plant, often not - I'm not sure how I
remember Latin or regular names to be honest. I either just know the name or not - I've
not particularly tried to remember them. It seems to have just happened. Or not :)

The more you know though, the easier it becomes to add to the knowledge. It starts
off very slowly and it's a bit of a struggle but I think there's a long er... latency period of
building a 'bookshelf' of mental knowledge upon which to add your information as you
absorb it.

There are loads of plants I don't know but I think I've developed better strategies for IDing
them. An obvious one of course is photographing it and going "what's this?" on here!

For trees - winter twigs were a big help as I wandered around Blackheath with my guide
printed from the excellent Hainault Forest website and learned / guessed what my local
trees were. Then I was delighted to see them coming into leaf and largely confirming my
tentative IDs.

The next thing is to notice the bark a bit more, and the overall shape of the crown of the
tree - there are quite a lot of things that can ID a tree. Leaves are pretty good though.

Can't help you with insects unless it's Amphimallon solstitialis which terrify me
annually - they actually chase me when I walk home across the heath. They're mean :cool:

Aug 27, 2006
Kent

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Learning how to use id keys is essential - Francis Rose Wildflower key is good for beginners - intermediate but if you are serious about it you should get New Flora of the British Isles by Clive Stace who is the recognised authority on the subject.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Matt,

The obvious answer to this question is to ask the course director. Email him or her and say you would like to brush up on your id skills before starting the course and that you would like to know which books would be best to use.

I am always delighted when I get questions like this as it suggests I can look forward to a keen student on the course, so you should get a favourable response to an email like this.

If nothing come of the email, to get you started Rose and O'Reilly, as has been suggested for plants and one of the Chinery guides to insects are good starting points, but make sure you practice using the keys and don't just flick through the pictures.

Graham

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE