Learning from the natives.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harry The Camper

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
www.yahoo.com
To start off, I know there are no real "natives" in the UK, but in places like Australia or Africa and South East Asia there are still communities that live off the land and maintain their traditions. I have recently been trying to learn about the jungles of Malaysia from some native people or "orang asli". I have modest experience in the jungle but still lack knowledge of herbal remedies, reading the jungle,using plants to make various things ect.Sadly,most of the natives have either lost their tradisional way of life, whereas some treat outsiders wanting to learn from them with suspicion as they fear their knowledge will be exploited. Luckily, I have made friends with an orang asli (orangutan is jungle person, orang is person, utan/hutan is jungle, asli is original,thus original person) he is highly skilled in making various things such as blowpipes, bark clothes, weaving, nose flute ect.... After coming to his performances(blowpipe/noseflute) he invited me to come to his place. Having been twice now I have learnt a myriad of skills and plants that can be used. Photos coming soon. Anyone here have simlar stories?? I feel learing about an enviroment is best done with a native to share knowledge that has been passed down for generations.

Harry The Camper

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
www.yahoo.com
PICT0076.jpg

Edible fern

PICT0073.jpg

Soup seasoning (lemongrass tasting)

PICT0072.jpg

Syptic (stops small wounds bleeding)

PICT0068.jpg

Comparison of shoots,left one has edible roots

PICT0067.jpg

Aforementioned roots

PICT0064.jpg

Leaves that can be used as plates

PICT0065.jpg

PICT0061.jpg

PICT0060.jpg

Native hut

PICT0058.jpg

PICT0059.jpg

Blowpipe(lousy pic sorry)

PICT0057.jpg

PICT0056.jpg

PICT0055.jpg

PICT0054.jpg

PICT0053.jpg

PICT0052.jpg

PICT0051.jpg

Native garden

Last edited:

Harry The Camper

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
www.yahoo.com
No, the captions arebelow the photo I am talking about. Heart shaped leaves are for treating small wounds.

Tons of that bamboo around the village, green bamboo only though as everyone there makes blowpipes.

Will edit it a bit.

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
Harry,

No natives here, in fact not much wilderness either ;) nice photo's, looking forward to seeing your 5 items or less photo's..

Frogo

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
My dad was out there with the army pre WW2, he loved the people,,,well he loved one of them most weekends he told me

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE