Learned any new skills?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I was just pondering the fact that I've not learned any new skills thus far this year and wondered if any of you have?
So, let us know if you've picked up any new skills this year, why you learned it and what you like about it, or them!

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Interesting way of thinking, I usually think what would be useful for my way of trekking and then try to learn that. Which kind of means that during the years less and less new comes up. On the other hand there are tons of skills that I would not mind learning if the situation arises.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
I'm currently perfecting my technique of diving under a table for when Putin decides to nuke us. I'm improving as I don't bump my head anymore.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Still need to spend a lot of time practising to be able to do it well, but I've learnt to spin various types of silk this year. I attended two online workshops, mainly as an excuse to get the spinning wheel out and to have some social interactions with new people, but also to explore a new fibre that I've not worked with before.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Just updating my navigating skills, more to reaffirm they are good enough. Using internet and old peter cliff book and my own notes.

Nothing much else.

gibson 175

Apr 9, 2022
West Yorkshire
oh -and some new veg growing skills from some older people, pruned a massively overgrown pear tree, managed to put an edge on an axe with a file,learnt how to sharpen knives(badly) with whetstone

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Not a new skill as such, but I am working rather hard at trying to learn Morse code well enough to use it on the air (amateur radio).

Reactions: Ray Smears

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
I’m starting to get back into bushcraft after a 10 / 15 year hiatus. All the second nature skills I had back in the day I’m re-learning as an older bloke. For example:
When I get a splinter now the first thing I look for is reading glasses not tweezers.
Stealth camping to me is getting into a hammock without making a groaning noise.
I use light reflecting paracord to tie stuff down because frankly it gives me the best chance of remembering where I put my tent pegs.
I struggle with fire by friction because my arthritic shoulder finds it easier to light a fire with the bic in my pocket.
I seem to carry more head torches, lighters, batteries, knives and toilet roll than I could ever conceivably use in a weekend doing bushcraft.
Not only do I have “a bottle clearly marked wee’ in my hammock. I also have one in my car for the drive home and in the shed at the bottom of the garden.
I use quick release knots so I can get home after camp sharpish to take my turn in looking after the kids.
I now look at reviews on every item of kit I buy. Currently I’m researching camping toilets and am trying to find one that I could comfortably use in a hammock, car and shed. Oh and looks absolutely nothing like my cool box.

Last edited:

bearbait

Just updating my navigating skills, more to reaffirm they are good enough. Using internet and old peter cliff book and my own notes.

Nothing much else.
Some years ago I spent a week camping and hiking on Dartmoor. There was no particular intention to sharpen up my nav. skills but it started to become fun, e.g. OK, I have my position; so...looks like ~10 minutes to the next creek crossing, etc., for several hours at a time. It sharpened up both the map-reading skills and hiking speed estimation. (No SatNavs were harmed or utilised during this process.)

I also believe I found a potential "fake" (or incorrectly plotted) public right-of-way (PRoW) marked on the OS map as there was absolutely no way across that particular bog. I double and triple-checked my position, compass bearing, etc. I scouted around the bog. I probably spent half an hour or more verifying everything. It may have been an official PRoW but there was no way across.

And Dartmoor is not mandatory for the fun!

Reactions: Ray Smears

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I'm continuing the struggle to iron out that niggling asymmetry in my spoons. Now, I know I could use a template to help but I'm trying to do it 'freehand' for when I'm in the woods for longer periods of time. I'm also tinkering with shapes, trying different ones to see which I prefer using. It's not really 'new' per se but each attempt feels new, which is why it's so addictive, so exciting and so frustrating!

Reactions: TeeDee

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Not really bushcrafting but I've managed to sort out home loading home cast 12 bore slugs. Surprisingly accurate and much cheaper than commercial loads to boot.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Not really bushcrafting but I've managed to sort out home loading home cast 12 bore slugs. Surprisingly accurate and much cheaper than commercial loads to boot.

Where did you get your lead from ? Tyre balancing centres?

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I'm still using the lead pipe I removed from a house I renovated. I've still got a bucket of old fishing weights before I start on old roofing lead off cuts. I gather wheel weights are not lead these days so shouldn't be used for bullet casting. You can often pick up lead in local house clearance type auctions but he aware not all lead is pure.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE