Leaf green leather dye?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Hi All. I’ve been trying to get a nice mid-green, sort of leaf coloured leather dye to use for some projects. So far I have one water based dye that is very dark green (think holly leaf), and one Fiebings ‘green’ pro oil dye, which seems to turn out rather copper sulphate-y blueish green. Both nice if that’s what you’re after, but not ideal for me.

Have any of you fine people found a dye which is readily available, and which produces a nice leaf / mid green result on veg tan, without any odd colour cast?

I know that dyes can be mixed, thinned and lightened, but given the price of leather dye, I’d rather like to cut to the chase if at all possible, and save time & money that will otherwise be spent on experimentation.

cheers, Bob

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I did it using shoe dye. It's the stuff meant to colour ladies shoes to match outfits for weddings. I threw the last of the bottle out not a month ago :sigh: I used it to dye veg tanned turnshoes to match a green skirt and top. Very 'leaf' green, when I'd been aiming for olive drab.
A little went a very long way. It came with a sponge applicator on the top of the wee bottle.
I'll see if I can find a link, but maybe don't limit yourself to just Fieblings and the like. This dye lasted four years until I got rid of the shoes, and they were worn wet and muddy in fields and woods, etc., but they were still leaf green.

M

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Most leather stains are going to soak in and be affected by the colour of the leather. I’ve just used a new strop with a veg tan strip of leather on it and chrome oxide as a polish. The chrome oxide is leaf green, but the leather has taken it up and it now looks very dark holly.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Green-Chro...OOqGYW3nnoEbLDKc6uLhui9WvVNuNLFBoCiXkQAvD_BwE

For a true leaf green you may, as Toddy says, need a shoe dye or actual coating of the colour.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE