Lead Slug Mould and Lee Loader

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Quite. I'd find it hard to think they owned the patent on the design.

I just looked at mine (for 30-06) It has the patent number stamped on it: 3134293.

I don't know if that's for the design, but I suspect it is as it would be unlikely they'd patent all the individual calibers separately.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Mind you that number only appears on the barrel of the actual resizing (what would be the crimping barrel) tool. Not on the common items in the kit such as the punch, scoop, etc.

I just looked at mine (for 30-06) It has the patent number stamped on it: 3134293.

I don't know if that's for the design, but I suspect it is as it would be unlikely they'd patent all the individual calibers separately.

google just the number and it comes up

http://www.google.com/patents/US3134293

Was said its an improved design so amy get around the Specifics of paitent but tho more than making oen for your own use would be infrigment i doubt they will go after a small run if they ever actually found it

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
google just the number and it comes up

http://www.google.com/patents/US3134293

Was said its an improved design so amy get around the Specifics of paitent but tho more than making oen for your own use would be infrigment i doubt they will go after a small run if they ever actually found it

That's the same link I posted. I agree with your assessment of Lee's reaction. As the rifle and pistol ones are still being made, sold, and are quite popular, I assume they only discontinued the shotgun versions due to lack of sales.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
All conjecture, but if that's true, then there are three possibilities:
1) Yes, the patent has expired and there's no difficulty (seems the most likely if there's more than one company making them) or
2) They're making them under an agreement with Lee, or
3) They've bought the patent (would also be likely if there were only one company making them rather than "a few.")

1. The patent on the Lee Loader has now expired therefore they are perfectly legal to make and supply.
2. From my experience so far the US copies/designs are unfortunately appalling because of poor workmanship and materials.
3. The Loaders are also different from the original Lee Loader, they are in fact not direct copies. Id' say they are improved.
4. It is not a Worldwide patent even if it wasn't defunct. The Chinese are not breaking a US patent when they manufacturer something themselves and their patent laws are different anyway. Patent Pending has no legal standing.
5. The design is no longer manufactured in the relevant calibre. It is now available in .410 from here though! ;)
6. And and and oh I've lost all enthusiasm........ this has been discussed to death. Can we draw a line under this and concentrate on this as a GB now?

AVAILABLE IN .410 and 12G.
And slug and ball moulds too.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
1. The patent on the Lee Loader has now expired therefore they are perfectly legal to make and supply.
2. From my experience so far the US copies/designs are unfortunately appalling because of poor workmanship and materials.
3. The Loaders are also different from the original Lee Loader, they are in fact not direct copies. Id' say they are improved.
4. It is not a Worldwide patent even if it wasn't defunct. The Chinese are not breaking a US patent when they manufacturer something themselves and their patent laws are different anyway. Patent Pending has no legal standing.
5. The design is no longer manufactured in the relevant....

Number 1 is the only relevant point to be honest. However re number 3, worldwide patents are nothing more than trade agreements and treaties. Most common trading partners honor one another's patents (it's called reciprocity) And yes, the Chinese knock-offs are indeed violations if and when those knock-offs are sold in any country with such a trade agreement.

5. The design is no longer manufactured in the relevant calibre. It is now available in .410 from here though! ;)
6. And and and oh I've lost all enthusiasm........ this has been discussed to death. Can we draw a line under this and concentrate on this as a GB now?

AVAILABLE IN .410 and 12G.
And slug and ball moulds too.

excellent can I still have a 12bore set jsut the loader pleeease

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Number 1 is the only relevant point to be honest. However re number 3, worldwide patents are nothing more than trade agreements and treaties. Most common trading partners honor one another's patents (it's called reciprocity) And yes, the Chinese knock-offs are indeed violations if and when those knock-offs are sold in any country with such a trade agreement.

Some of the information was for other people's benefit but yes point 1 is the relevant one to what you raised.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
1. British Red - 1x 12g Loader, 1x .410 Loader, 00 18 cavity mould and handles, 1oz slug mould.
2. TeeDee - 1x 12g Loader, slug mould(supplied)
3. FGYT - 1x 12g Loader

Last edited:

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
If I may please:

1. British Red - 1x 12g Loader, 1x .410 Loader, 00 18 cavity mould and handles, 1oz slug mould.
2. TeeDee - 1x 12g Loader, slug mould(supplied)
3. FGYT - 1x 12g Loader
3. widu13 - 1 x 12g loader, 00 18 cavity mould and handles

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
If I may please:

2. TeeDee - 1x 12g Loader, slug mould(supplied) ### upping my order to include 00 18 cavity mould and handles ####
3. FGYT - 1x 12g Loader
3. widu13 - 1 x 12g loader, 00 18 cavity mould and handles

MDH - I have added to existing order. Will PM you as well. Upping my order to include 00 18 cavity mould and handles

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Have you got a .410 version now?

No, I was just looking up details of the hand loading sets when I was looking at a .410. It's not something I need right away and after seeing a muzzle loading shotgun in action that can fire round ball or shot I could be tempted down that route rather than load cartridges.

I'd love to hear how peaple get on with their sets though, and may be interested in future.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
No, I was just looking up details of the hand loading sets when I was looking at a .410. It's not something I need right away and after seeing a muzzle loading shotgun in action that can fire round ball or shot I could be tempted down that route rather than load cartridges.

I'd love to hear how peaple get on with their sets though, and may be interested in future.

OK. I've yet to have a go on a muzzle loading shotgun, I'll have to ask around in the club. I'm still trying to convince the club to get a cannon, the rest of the committee think I am joking!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE