Leaches...

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
When we bought our house about 5 years ago, it had a murky pond in the garden. I recently installed a UV water clarifier and now the water is crystal clear.

Since doing this, we have noticed a lot more wildlife in the pond, but have recently found a few leaches around the pond edge.

This leads me to 3 questions:

1. How common are leaches in the UK?
  2. Should we try and get rid of them, as both kids regularly play in the garden and we have cats & a rabbit which are always out too.
  3. If we should get rid of them, how can I do that without affecting everything else in the pond?

Simon

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Sounds a bit daft but you could always stand in the pond until your legs are covered in them. Get out and sprinkle them with salt to kill them. Rinse and repeat! That way it doesn't affect your pond... probably not the best long term solution but leaches aren't as bad as a lot of people think. Were they definately not in there before the clarifier was installed? Or is it a case of being able to see them in the clear water now? I have no idea how common they are in the UK to be honest, but used to get covered in them as a kid in Canada.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
They're pretty common and there are several species, but I wouldn't worry too much about them. They won't cause any harm, they feed mainly on small stuff.
Even if they did feed on you, and there's only one or two species here that can, they're nothing to bother anyone.

Edit: There's no need to get rid of them. If I stood in a woods, laid out bait and blasted every single squirrel, deer, fox or rabbit that came near it, I'd be branded a monster.
Just because the leech isn't very pretty to look at doesn't mean it has any less right to be there.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Thanks for the response.

I think they have probably always been there sasquatch, but the improved water quality must have helped them to reproduce faster, so now we are seeing them.

The question about getting rid of them was more from a health pont of view - parasites are not known for their host friendly habits!

Simon

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I think (not entirely sure) that one of the species here is used in medicine.
I'm always fascinated how some creatures that were once perceived as useless actually have a use.
Good stuff.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've got them in mine too, they don't bother anything as far as I can see. I think they're living on the snails that graze the water plants. I only spotted the leeches when I saw some wriggling about on top of a half submerged waterlily leaf. These ones are black and a little over a cm long.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Eeeyah :eek:
Well, they've been living on something then..........horseleeches can live in the ground and they predate earthworms.......no idea what yours have been sucking though.
There has to be a site showing the different varieties, surely ?

cheers,
Toddy

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
We used to get those in the river beside my primary school. When I was a kid I thought they were kinda cute :D :eek:

I don't have much to add, other than if you do get a leech on you, don't burn it or put salt on it, or whatever. It's like it is with ticks, forcing them to come off like that may make them regurgitate into you which could cause problems... I've heard (though can't confirm whether it's a good option) that they should be removed by taking something like the edge of a knife blade and easing it between the sucker and skin to break the seal, at which point it should let go. Theoretically :)

I wouldn't say they're anything to worry about, just know how to get 'em off properly!

Pete

PS: I looked on Wikipedia, it suggests using a fingernal along the seal but it seems to mean depressing your skin so that the seal is broken, rather than putting your fingernail between your skin and the sucker. Sounds a bit safer than what I suggested...

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Good point Draven, I know not to burn or smother ticks but I never knew the same rules apply to leeches! Makes sense though...

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
I understand horse/medicinal leeches are pretty rare now. I've been round lots of ponds and rivers and have never seen one. A couple of years ago a natural history programme was at Romney Marsh and horse leeches were there. There are plenty of other sorts though that live on pond life and don't attack humans. I don't think you need to worry.

Jim

BOD

You have 11 species of leech in the UK and most of them are listed as vulnerable.

There is little chance of harm coming to your children but explain what they are to them.

You could try and see if they attempt to suck your blood. Chances are they are after invertabrates or amphibians and not you.

Tell the kids not to drink or swim in the pond.

Could you take a photo and post it?.

Funny but I have just finished a powerpoint on leeches for a talk tomorrow and I am writing an article on them as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE