newts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wickerman

May 6, 2010
norfolk
I have two small plastic formed ponds in my garden one had gold fish only two left heron ate them......have seen odd frogs and one toad in 7 years but we always have small newts especially in the pond with no fish .....have seen only one next tadpol and one fully formed but this year in addition to the small newts had a great crested turn up at the back door ....not seen one in years

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I've dealt with a few small ponds over the years and it's amazing how much life can be supported in a small volume of water. One I look after is about 8 feet wide and 6 inches or so deep with a few lilies. Every year it's full of newts and damsel/dragonfly larvae.

Reactions: wickerman

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
When I lived in the city, I used to keep all sorts of shallow dishes of water in the back yard. Lots of small stones to stand on in most dishes. The parade of wildlife, big and small, during the hot & dry summers, was a sight to behold. Even nocturnal Flying Squirrels.
The dishes must have been the only open water for 500m around the place.
It was a pleasant task to come home from the office for a cold brew and clean & change the water in all the dishes. Lord but the birds could make a mess.

Reactions: Kadushu and SaraR

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Pigeons are the worst here. They'll bathe in any shallow water and make it white with dander. They also create some of the biggest piles of guano because they'll sit on one branch for hours in the day or return to a specific spot to roost at night.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE