Laying The Perfect Stool

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I've got a nice bit of oak planking and some yew poles so I thought I'd make myself a stool.
Problem is, I was wondering how to make the holes for the legs. Like the average person, I don't have a 1" drill bit - and I don't really want to go and buy one because they're quite expensive.
So, any hints and tips on how I could make the holes for the legs?
I was thinking I may make several small holes and then join them up with a chisel...hmm...think I may have answered my own question there...
Any other ideas, though, in case I'm missing a trick?
Cheers

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I got a very cheap old bit & brace set for a couple of quid on ebay. Ive used it to drill for sap in trees, make stools, knives, bucksaws, and kuksas.
Worth every penny and effortless to use when the bits are sharpened.

Your Drill/chisel method would work though or use a fixed handled knife to remove the drilled parts.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
You can borrow my brace and bits Steve, I have a few :D May even have a spare you can have.

That'd be great - cheers.
Keep meaning to ask if I can have a whirl on your pole lathe as well. I'd like to make a hobo fishing kit for a friend's birthday, but it isn't until well into next year, so there's no rush.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
A very old traditional and rustic method of making large diameter holes in wood for making stools by shepherds and such like, was to burn the hole through a slice of tree with a poker or similar sized metal bar, heat the poker up to red hot in the fire and burn through, and when it gets near to the desired diameter just clean it out the rest of the way with a knife or chisel. They would then stick 3 branches into the 3 burned out holes and cut them off flush to the seat, cut the legs to the same length and there you have the ideal rustic 3 legged stool (like a milking stool).

Last edited:

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
you could always use the bow drill method to burn it out..... I have seen it done to make a pipe......

regards..

chris..............................................

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE