Laws around bushcraft in the UK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvey Walker

Jul 27, 2018
West Yorkshire
I have been interested in bushcraft for a few months now, before I go out and get started I just wanted to know the laws around bushcraft. Where I can practice, do I need permission for certain tools, fires, can I practice in public woodlands if I only use material that has already fallen? I know these questions sound really basic but I would appreciate any helps, thanks!

Harvey.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
in england the only place you can camp on open land legally is on dartmoor, obviously people do camp in woods etc, but you need to be covert, fires are no go, get yourself a stove,now it is possible to camp and indeed set a fire on private land providing you have the landowners permission.but on public land or woods be very careful.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
There are lots of places to practice, lots of meets are organised on this site all over the country, the term 'Bushcraft' now that depends on your take on it, but, certain tools, yes, be careful what and where you take them, do not have them on show but in a rucksack. do not flaunt in and on a public place, the best thing for a newcomer would be to try and get out with a group on an organised meet, hope that helps.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Yes, get knives and then show us pictures of the knives. There is not half enough talk here about knives nowadays. :)

Here's a video of one, an Old Hickory 7" butcher ...

And here's a photo of some more. A couple of Serratas ... one in cast 440C and sneezewood, another in VG10 n ebony

Serratas.png

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
OK, if we're not doing knives. Jackets. Got to have a jacket, right. It's the Law. Get some good jackets, and then post us up some pictures of them.

Here's one I like at the moment. French M47. Lovely and summery, might even suit linen shorts and sandals :) Not sure where you'd put your knife though :lol: ... .no I lie ... get some of those Barents shorts :)

French_Military_Jacket_M47.png

I saw a lovely knife the other day .. a Buck 110 Ecolite ... a friend had it in his garage. Think I can find one for sale on the 'net ? .... Course not.

Anyway, there are laws around knives, but not around jackets. Though be careful if you get into any discussions of Ventile fabric. Can be tricky, them.

Reactions: Harvey Walker

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Ve
OK, if we're not doing knives. Jackets. Got to have a jacket, right. It's the Law. Get some good jackets, and then post us up some pictures of them.

Here's one I like at the moment. French M47. Lovely and summery, might even suit linen shorts and sandals :) Not sure where you'd put your knife though :lol: ... .no I lie ... get some of those Barents shorts :)

I saw a lovely knife the other day .. a Buck 110 Ecolite ... a friend had it in his garage. Think I can find one for sale on the 'net ? .... Course not.

Anyway, there are laws around knives, but not around jackets. Though be careful if you get into any discussions of Ventile fabric. Can be tricky, them.

Ventile and cammo.....both tricky subjects

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk

We need another ‘best bushcraft jacket’ thread, to run another ten years....

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Also on a serious note, don’t feel you have to go out and splash loads of cash on Gucci gear. You don’t need to spend buckets of cash to be a competent bishcrafter/enjoy the outdoors. If you have loads of cash to spend then crack on though!

Try a few things out, see what works for you and develop your own system.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
We need another ‘best bushcraft jacket’ thread, to run another ten years....

Well, one can only hope.:)

So no knives, no jackets. How about cheap jackets? That French M47 one is £12, I think.

Is Gucci French? Thought he was Italian.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrEd

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I do not think it was Gucci that designed the M47 jacket.
Could be Gaultiers dad, if he had one.

Hugo Boss designed uniforms. True!

One undervalued and under discussed subject is Tent Pegs.
(That Jane is an idiot you think now!)

Those that have been enjoying Mother Gaia in a storm will understand.

99% of pegs supplied with tents are substandard.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Bunch of amateurs.
Knives. Jackets.
Tsk tsk.

What you should be talking about is canvas backpacks.
Ideally it should date from pre-1960. It should, of course, be scandinavian in origin because nothing else is anywhere near as good. Equally so, it should be a shapeless sack that all your kit just lolls around it. An external metal frame should be present that rubs your back raw, with dried and tatty leather straps that you can swear blind are in perfect condition. It should be no bigger than 25L and you are compelled to off-handedly claim that you can get all you need for a weekend away in it whilst not mentioning how much you've strapped to the outside.
Once you have one it is your duty to declare how you've had it since forever and it's still the best bag you've ever owned. They don't make them like they used to. Blah blah blah.
That's what you need for bushcrafting.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I do not think it was Gucci that designed the M47 jacket.
Could be Gaultiers dad, if he had one.

Hugo Boss designed uniforms. True!

One undervalued and under discussed subject is Tent Pegs.
(That Jane is an idiot you think now!)

Those that have been enjoying Mother Gaia in a storm will understand.

99% of pegs supplied with tents are substandard.

Yeah your right there, I always buy new pegs. Cheap thin bent metal ones are rubbish

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Well done the lot of ya, you've turned what could of been a helpful thread to a newcomer into a farce, too many threads going this way and to be blunt, it's ruining the place, for me and judging by numbers, a lot of folk, 2penneth.

In between the good natured banter there is some pretty reasonable advice actually.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE