Lavvu woes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I had decided to set up a hot tent in my very small back yard. I looked at the polish lavvu and thought ok, way to go. Military Mart had size 3 in stock at a price I was happy with. Could not find a stove I liked in my price range.
Kept fishing around, changed my mind, looked again thought it a daft idea etc. etc..
Just now I found a stove I could afford, so for £110 delivered I found this https://www.boutiquecamping.com/gla...table-woodburning-stove-p38/s44?wid=1&cid=GBP

Went for it, now back to military mart to get the lavvu....... out of stock.
So soon I will have a hot back yard but no shelter.

Car pay flipping de um , my Ars*

Reactions: Scots_Charles_River

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Size one in stock just now £45. There's not a lot of difference between the sizes.

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
There is an e-mail notification list at MM, any Size 3's are normally only in stock for minutes at best. I would still keep an eye out in ebay, that's where I got my size 3 from but I did pay £80 for it.

Reactions: Hammock_man

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Great price on the stove, I've got the same one and love it.

You might struggle to fit in the lavuu with it though ! The height of it means it needs positioning near the middle so it's not too close to the canvas, which means it can get in the way a bit and you can't really get away from it if you get too hot !

I decided it was just too big for my tipi and have it in a bigger shelter now where it's very happy and very useful !

Reactions: Hammock_man

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
It turned out the No.1 was half the price of a no.3! I have got 2 times no.1 coming.
Having looked at a number of youtube vids I am going to try and use one set to add a skirt to the other set. Due to lack of skill I am thinking of trimming the last 24 inch off the bottom of one set and adding "100's" well maybe dozens of velcro patches to the bottom of the other. Looking for a kind of bell tent setup.
Not going to be perfect but it is to go in a 12 foot wide garden with fence panels on each side, it is not going to be braving the elements on Dartmoor!

If I can brew tea and read a book while its cold and wet out then that's a victory.

Reactions: crosslandkelly

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I have the same stove, love it. I cut down the legs on my stove, to about 6", which means the back of the stove is well clear of the canvas. Only draw back I've found, is the loss of space beneath the stove to dry and store small logs.

View attachment 63874
Looks good :)

I thought about doing the same with the legs, but was concerned about losing stability as they splay out considerably at full length and the weight of the flue pipes is surprising, looks to have worked okay with your setup though :)

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
It turned out the No.1 was half the price of a no.3! I have got 2 times no.1 coming.
Having looked at a number of youtube vids I am going to try and use one set to add a skirt to the other set. Due to lack of skill I am thinking of trimming the last 24 inch off the bottom of one set and adding "100's" well maybe dozens of velcro patches to the bottom of the other. Looking for a kind of bell tent setup.
Not going to be perfect but it is to go in a 12 foot wide garden with fence panels on each side, it is not going to be braving the elements on Dartmoor!

If I can brew tea and read a book while its cold and wet out then that's a victory.
If you use a bipod to set up, instead of the supplied pole, you'll gain a good deal more usable internal space.

Reactions: Laurence Milton

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
Definately use a different method of holding it up than the center pole. You can build a tripod inside or one outside and hang to top of the Lavvu from it. If your not travelling too far from the car and dont mind not being strictly "Bushcraft," then 3 adjustable washing line poles can be bought a tenner and are great for use a a tripod.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Definately use a different method of holding it up than the center pole. You can build a tripod inside or one outside and hang to top of the Lavvu from it. If your not travelling too far from the car and dont mind not being strictly "Bushcraft," then 3 adjustable washing line poles can be bought a tenner and are great for use a a tripod.
I certainly wouldn't use an interior tripod (weight, water capillary, wear in wind, etc) , but consider an EX terior bipod? TWO poles as above?????

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
I would be worried about the two poles falling over but if you can make it secure then go for it, generally though it's always a tripod I see used even with a half Lavvu setup, be it internal or external. The washing line poles I use are about thumb thickness so they dont use up much space. Alternatively if you have an overhanging tree branch then you can hang the top of the Lavvu off the branch, thats been my preffered option.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
I paid- a lot for a #2 shipped to California and stand 6'2" I watched Matt Bigmonster's YOUTUBE tutorial which is the Bible on Polish Palatkas. I then picked up a single half after watching Youtuber SWEDWOODS set up a 3 unit shelter with vestibule. IF I go on an extended field contract I haul all 3.
Usually I pack one for a quick lean to with a hiking staff at 55.5" that fits me and the Palatka.
In my opinion; and you can do what you wish, it's your gear: this is a SUPERB rain and wind cape.
I wear it on evening hikes at our local State Park. We look for bats and owls, a little stargazing and I give a talk about the Chumash first peoples and Californio Ranching history. I'm wearing my palatka, a black Basque boina, leaning on my staff. One lady asked if I was a monk, another if I herded sheep and a third a historical reenactor. I replied, no, I'm a BUSCRAFTER. THEN they all steeped back a few feet avoiding eye contact.

Reactions: Kadushu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE