Lathe

veryWildbill

Nomad
Aug 15, 2010
west sussex
I've just impulse bought a wood lathe:yikes:. I havent used one since I left scool 30 years ago, but I'm sure it will all come flooding back.

I'm looking for sugestions for bushcrafty items I can make.
Also how to get it through through the house and into the shed without the wife noticeing.

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
I've just impulse bought a wood lathe:yikes:. I havent used one since I left scool 30 years ago, but I'm sure it will all come flooding back.
I'm looking for sugestions for bushcrafty items I can make.
Knife handles, spoon blanks, bowls, handles for fire steels,
I know a guy that was asked to make 100 wooden... male members.

Also how to get it through through the house and into the shed without the wife noticeing.
Give her a couple of quid to buy something nice, then sneak it in while she is shopping.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
i would also suggest honesty as the best policy, or if that isn't an option tell her you got it on the gift it on thread lol.

I would also recommend that hobo fishing kits are sought after items and would be relatively simple with a lathe i would imagine?

Dave

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I saw a nice little lathe in Sheringham Norfolk at the weekend but the misses was with me £120 and I had the crdit card with me. Mmm

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Yeah, what Dave Bromley said above about getting it on the gift it on thread. Or like someone's signatures says here "When I die sell my knives for what I bought them for, not what I told the wife I paid for them."

Put a label on it that says reduced to £20 or nearest offer and look smug as you carry it indoors.

alternatively try "Hey hon', look what I found in a skip!"

Depending on the last time she was in your shed you could say "Look what I found under that pile of junk that was in the corner there when we moved in." She might go for it... but don't quote me. Let me know which ward to send the flowers to :lmao:

Items to make? Loads o'stuff; handles for pots, pokers and pans, three legged milking stool, drawknife handles. to name but a few.

Last edited:

veryWildbill

Nomad
Aug 15, 2010
west sussex
Lots of ideas hear to get me started. But c'mon guys 'honesty' I've been married far to long for that to turn out well!!

The hobo reel looks like it could be a good starting place. I'll ruin a few bits of wood first, then post up the results.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Dont listen to em VWB! tunnels, that what you need, a complex interconnecting network of tunnels to the best shops in town linked directly to your shed/garage/workshop/toilet(you never know when the urge will get you),

It's the only true way to sneak things into your abode without risking the wrath of a lady who hasn't got a gift of equal or greater value!, I've been there dude, it ain't a happy place!

Stay safe my friend.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE