Latest yew character bow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hi All,

This is my latest yew character bow. The bow is 60 inches long and pulls about 55lbs at 28inch draw. Certainly lets an arrow and is seweet to shoot. The tips are antler and the handle is a cheapo leather scrap wrapped.

Thanks for looking all.

Nocks
IMAG0194.jpg

Belly
IMAG0212.jpg

Bumpy back
IMAG0228-1.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010006-1.jpg

P1010001.jpg

Money shot

P1010002.jpg

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Lovely job there. 2 questions if I may ask, are the pieces of antler just glued to the back of the bow or are they jointed in some way and is the slight recurve at the tips natural or did you steam them

The reflex tips are added with dry heat and the antler overlays are expoxied on as a block then shaped from there.

thats beautiful, love the gnarly back on it awesome

Cheers Dread

very nice indeed

hows the draw and release?

Draw is nice and smooth and it has lots of brace tension. Not as fast as some of my skinny tip white wood bows but its character makes up for it.
Also managed to seal a midge into the back of the bow whilst finishing it, looks liek its set in amber will try and take a photo :) Sporting a few bits so poetic justice.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
“SWEET” nice job bro..
The grain in the second image looks very nice.
Speaking of bumpy back, I was wanting to get a Mystick Scraper but I haven’t seen one, do you know if they are any good? What did you use round the knots?

Last edited:

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
“SWEET” nice job bro..
The grain in the second image looks very nice.
Speaking of bumpy back, I was wanting to get a Mystick Scraper but I haven’t seen one, do you know if they are any good? What did you use round the knots?

Thanks all.

The back was the wood just under the bark so no work needed there, just a light sand. I have taken down the back of yew bows but with yew being so tight grained its hard work. Yew is one of the woods that is less fussy so if you do try it doesnt have to be as perfect as other woods.
The scraper looks cool enough but i would expect a scraper is just a scraper. Keeping them sharp is the key which only takes a file and a screwdriver. Think mine cost me about £9 from a local hardware shop, doesnt have to be fancy, i used to use an old knife.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Sacrifice to the bow gods.
P1010009-1.jpg

Haha, gotta make some sacrifice eh, will keep that in mind. do the bow gods prefer any type of flies?
I'm currently working on one myself ( a bow that is) and will show that soon, but I have to say that the tree from which it came has a slight twist, in what way will that affect the bow, is it like if you tiller it right no problem or is it like, you got some firewood there boy better start over with a new piece kinda thing, other then the twist nothing wrong grain wise lovely straight piece of maple.
Yours sincerely Ruud, a humble student in the art of bowmaking
May the Bow gods be in my favour

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Haha, gotta make some sacrifice eh, will keep that in mind. do the bow gods prefer any type of flies?
I'm currently working on one myself ( a bow that is) and will show that soon, but I have to say that the tree from which it came has a slight twist, in what way will that affect the bow, is it like if you tiller it right no problem or is it like, you got some firewood there boy better start over with a new piece kinda thing, other then the twist nothing wrong grain wise lovely straight piece of maple.
Yours sincerely Ruud, a humble student in the art of bowmaking
May the Bow gods be in my favour

Depends how much twist there is in the limb,
You can heat the twist out but if its too much then life is too short. Picture would help a lot. What ever you do, do not ignore the twist you have to follow it keeping the thickness taper the same all the way down the limb.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE