Latest update broke URI insertion facility.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
The symbol which inserts a URI used to work like this:

1. Click on it.

2. A dialogue box opens with the content "http://"

3. Paste a URI into the box and click OK.

4. The URI is inserted into the text BOTH as a link AND as a text URI.

5. When the text URI in step 4 appears, it is highlighted so that the next character that is typed will replace it.

This functionality was one of the more convenient features of the site. Since the (I think) most recent update, it is broken. Step 5 does not happen, the text is not highlighted, and it cannot be replaced except by manually editing which is error prone with long, complex URIs.

Please can it be fixed?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have just inserted this url and it works fine matey it should take you straight to post one this thread. Is that what you ment Ged?

Edited it to go to your second post in this thread.

Last edited:

ged

Jul 16, 2009
I have just inserted this url and it works fine matey it should take you straight to post one this thread.

Are you saying that when you actually insert the URI the text part of the URI still comes up highlighted so that you can edit it easily?

I can insert a URI of course, I can type the whole flippin' thing in by hand if I have to, but the convenient way of replacing the http:// gubbins with just a word or two has gone -- at least it has here.

This seems to have coincided with quite a few other changes in the user interface, so I'm pretty sure it's a vBulletin update that broke it. For me on Iceweasel (badged version of Firefox) at least.

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I might be missing something here, I typed some text, highlighted it, clicked on the link icon, put in the address and said fine and it came up with highlighted text that's linked to this thread???

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I copy the www addy from the addy bar then highlight the text i want to hyper link the click the insert link button delete the https paste the www addy, click ok and its done, when i click the 'EDIT' button the whole www addy is there to edit as you wish. is that how you do it or am I way off?

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I might be missing something here, I typed some text, highlighted it, clicked on the link icon, put in the address and said fine and it came up with highlighted text that's linked to this thread???

Same here? not sure if Ged is using sort cut buttons maybe? like ctrl C and that?

ged

Jul 16, 2009
I copy the www addy from the addy bar then highlight the text i want to hyper link the click the insert link button delete the https paste the www addy, click ok and its done, when i click the 'EDIT' button the whole www addy is there to edit as you wish. is that how you do it or am I way off?

Well you're not way off, but that's not how I (used to) do it. Using the method you describe, you have to (1) type the text that you want to appear first and (2) highlight that text before clicking the 'insert link' button. That's an extra step. If you look at my step-by-step description you'll see that when the URL is inserted (before typing the replacement text, not after) the text version of the URI appears already highlighted. So there's no messing about with the mouse, and anything that avoids messing about with mouses is a Good Thing.

So yes, it can still be done, but it now takes an extra step and it's irritating the hell out of me because there was really no need to break it. Incidentally yes too, I am using CTRL keys to do some of the things that other people would probably use a mouse to do, but that isn't the issue in this case.

Incidentally, there used to be a bunch of buttons like the 'insert uri' button in the 'Quick Reply' box but they've gone, so it's yet another step (you have to go advanced and wait for another page to be rendered) even if all you want to do is send somebody a link.

Yeargh.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
Ah got you, you sound quite annoyed by this Ged, I agree about the buttons in the quick reply box, they were very handy.

Oh, heck, I should try to keep my emotions in check! It really isn't fair of me to be annoyed. But it is irritating when upgrades break things that were perfectly fine. This reminds me of a project I worked on a few years ago, I employed a guy who was a really enthusiastic programmer and he was always adding new features or doing what he called 'refactoring' that nobody had asked for, to make it 'better'. The trouble was that whatever he did usually broke two or three other things that had been working just right and quite useful until he stepped in. In the end he had to go.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
this link here

Ok, got it now, I never knew it did that :D For this to work i have to have the full editing enabled for the quick reply, i'm not sure of the ramifications of this in regards to performance although I'm fairly sure that it will have an impact on loading times etc. I'll look into it and i might find myself changing back to how it was before, if I do at least you'll know why :D

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
When you say loading times Tone, do you mean the click to display time for us? if so I'm on a very poor connection at the moment and it's no different (that I've noticed ) for me with the full edit enabled.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
The one that does my head in is the insert image option defaulting to advanced, it drives the SotP guys nuts!

Settings, options, message attachment options, adv insert image popup, select no :)

update seems to be going ok though, nothing major... Suspect that the boss may be upgrading SotP soon too...

cheers,

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE