Latest i-Phone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
Overpriced and overhyped. I personally can't stand their closed shop proprietary based nonsense. Hook you in and that's it your caught ( as alluded to in a previous post). They are a company that takes control freakery to a different level. Their products are made to look good and not last (they even openly admit this and people don't seem to mind!). Both my daughters Ipods lasted just over a year....Rubbish!
As you may have gathered I won't be buying one :D

skaus84

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 15, 2008
Liverpool UK
iPhones are great if you want an iPhone. As a smart phone they are pretty decent, but you are restricted in what you get. Want a phone with a physical keyboard? Not available on the iPhone. Want to run flash? Not available on the iPhone (at least since I last checked!). Want to take pictures in 3D? Not on the iPhone. Want a phone that will not be re-released in six months because of a few minor hardware upgrades? Best not buy an iPhone then. Where as there are Android phones that can do all these things and more.

Want to develop apps for the iPhone and sell them through the app store? Only if Apple approve your app. For those of you considering buying the 4S remember this, the iPhone 5 will be out in April!

I know people that have iPhones and love them, and I would certainly take one over a phone running Windows 7, Symbian, RIM (Blackberry) or some of the other less popular platforms. I would even take one over the low end Android phones.

You should really decide what you want and need from a phone, then make up your mind what is right for you. I have the HTC Desire Z and cannot fault it. It does pretty much everything I need and a few things other to boot. There are a couple of features missing, but I could have working if I wanted to code the drivers (certainly not going to happen this year!)

I think that's about it, rant over!!!

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
With out Iphone, touch screen and tablets would be way off what they are now.......

Tablets............a laptop without a keyboard or stand...........which you can buy as an add on........hmmmm

I've got a tent if you want, it's a completely new design with out poles, but if you want poles I can sell you some at great cost as an upgrade???????????

Tongue firmly in cheek.... please don't take offence

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Tablet PC's have been around way longer than the iPad. Mp3 players were around years before the iPod. I had an Archos mp3 player that played videos about 4 years before the iPod came out. The thing apple do well is make them fashionable and bring them to a mass market.

fredster

Forager
Oct 16, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
...The thing apple do well is make them fashionable and bring them to a mass market.

True, but they also do brilliant user interfaces on their products, which keeps many people loyal. I remember being lent a generic mp3 player a while back and it took me a while just to work out how to get to the artist menu. When you watch someone use an apple product for the first time its amazing how quickly they work out how to navigate around it without any instruction at all. Used a Galaxy SII the other day and it was brilliant, but there's no doubting where that interface was 'borrowed' from.

bronskimac

Forager
Aug 22, 2011
Dundee
The fanboys will never concede that there is anything better than or comparable to an Apple phone/tablet/pc/media player/toaster...
"It just works" mostly true as long as you want to do things the Apple way. One fanboy used to tell me the command line code to change things to my way of working, if you need command line then the Graphical User Interface (GUI) driven interface has failed.

I finally gave in to the pressure from the three fanboys in the office, I was the only Windows man, a while ago and got an Apple laptop. I gave the operating system a good chance, three months. It was a cracking laptop nice high spec hardware and once I installed Windows 7 it was a great tool, I controlled how stuff got done rather than the OS insisting I do it the "Apple Way". At the end of the day I ended up paying over the top for the high spec hardware.

Apple have definitely driven many improvements in the computer, music player and smart phone markets. From the start of the renascence for Apple they have excelled in the user interface and they gave a fairly static market with no outstanding interfaces a massive kick in the bottom. The "it just works" (as long as you want to do it the Apple way) was very successful. The big change in how stuff worked gave them a genuine advantage which placed them firmly in the market as a major contender. Unfortunately the innovations have gotten smaller and less frequent allowing other manufacturers and operating systems to catch up and , shock horror, some times exceed the innovations of Apple.

There is an insane level of loyalty and the fanboys will get quite heated if you dare to criticise the Apple in any way. The loyalty is almost a religious fervour which makes it almost impossible to have a rational conversation about Apple versus any other product. Like many religions the blind faith and acceptance of dogma really pisses me off.

skaus84

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 15, 2008
Liverpool UK
B******s! The C64 was the machine to have!

:)

Was? WAS? It still is!!!

Nothing better than waiting what seems like forever for a game to load only for it to crash the last second, or play a 60 second game then turn the tape over and wait forever for the next level! I've still got one and dust it off every now and then for sh*ts and giggles.

*Dusty*

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2011
N Ireland
I had an iPhone 4 and upgraded to a 4s, simply because the wife needed a new phone and was happy to take my 4.

I'd say the iPhone 4 is honestly 90% of the 4s, Siri is excellent for some things and useless at others although I was impressed it understood my accent, or as some of my co workers asked, "Does is spake Norn Iron??"

The camera is noticeably better and i like its UI, it suits me as I'm a complete spanner when it comes to techy stuff. It's convenient and the service i've had from Apple in Belfast has been flawless, exceeding expectations on both occasions. Your mileage may vary obviously. Apple vs Android is getting old now, the arguments are more and more petty every time to be honest, I have no experience with Android except what i've seen on co workers units and it's all nice and lovely and all that

I've been assured though that jailbreaking the iphone is like Neo coming out of the matrix and realising for the first time all the cool sh*t he could do, so i may try that sometime!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE