Late January dog trip (Pic heavy!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
Last week I had some some vacation and took the dogs up north.
As I have had healthissues for the last few years I haven´t been able to do any real touring so the aim of the trip was to test some equipment, renew my skills and test my, and the dogs, fitness for possible longdistance racing next year.
I had planned to do a couple of over night trips but as it was pretty cold (-25 C) and the dogs don´t have a full winter coat of fur I wasn´t sure I was up to it so I opted for doing daytrips of between 15 and 35 km.
This didn´t stop me from pitching my new tent (Hilleberg Namatj 2) during lunchbreaks just to check it out and getting a routine.
I didn´t get many pictures because my camera didn´t agree with the cold. If I took the batteries out of my pocket and put them in the camera I could get maybe two pics before it froze up.

A tip for you.
If you get a small car, even a week on holiday makes you feel like your on an expedition!

Heading out on the first day. - 17 C and a lovely blue sky with warming sun.
The sled is packed with everything required for mountaintrips or long distance racing. Just add more food and fuel.

Lunchbreak on the first day. The sun is really warming and I pitched my new tent just for practise.

My new 2008 Namatj 2. It seems to be everything I require. Stormproof yet quite light. Big enough for two people or one man and two dogs (my dogs are spoiled rotten and sleep in the tent with me) and the factor that made the decision over the Nallo, great ventilation to get out the moisture from three mammals breathing cold winter air.

Lunchbreak on a different day. The stove is a KAP arctic burner in a trangia setup and my little bitch, who belives she is a princess although she pulls like a demon, thinks that dogfood is for dogs and that she should share my REALmeal.

I stopped by a log shelter, built centuries ago when people lived here while harvesting the sedge on mires for cattle fodder.

There are many of these ruffly furnished shelters all over the area and they are kept in order by the local comunity and, although this one wasn´t, are usually supplied with firewood by the snowmobile clubs. They are open for use by anyone and is a great asset for camping and fishing.

An old grindingstone and some scythes and a rake out front tell a story of times past.

The scythe handle in the centre has the year 1860 and the initials ELS carved into it.

Coffeebreak same place, next day.

To pull, eat and rest is a huskys idea of paradise!

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Thanks, Husky, like others, makes yer wanna be there, love that tent.
icon12.gif

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
I have socks/booties for them which I put on if the snow is abrasive but they are used to walking on hard roads and most of my offsnow training is on gravel so they do have rather tough feet.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Brilliant pictures Husky. I've got a Husky/Lab Retriever cross and think he would love that. Marley (the dog) loves to run. When I'm out with him and let him off the lead, the longer he runs, the faster he goes, and less often he stops. He's certainly got the pulling power. On one of the few days we had snow and ice, he spotted a fox before I did and had me doing a great impression of a really bad wake-boarder behind him, and he's only just turned a year old.

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
Sounds like you have something there Robby!
Just get a good harness and start easy with your bike and you might have got yourself a new hobby.

By the way, thanks everyone for all the nice comments!

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
Hi,

Nice photos. A real winter wonderland.

I see in the photos that the dogs are tethered to trees during rest stops. Is there a reason for this? I mean, when they're in the tent they can't be tethered, can they?

The reason I ask is that when I go overnight with my dog I usually hang his lead on a trolley line strung between two trees. Sometimes I get the impression he'd be happier on a shorter travel essentially stuck in one place. I don't really want him to be untethered in case he runs off after something or wanders around sniffing early morning joggers.

Just wondered, that's all

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
mjk123
The reson for the teathers is, as you say, to prevent them from running off.
One of the inherent traits of the polarbreeds is that they are more inclined to follow their natural instincts then your command. My dogs would set off after any animal in sight and possibly kill anything smaller then a raindeer.
Even more of a problem would be another dogteam which could lead to a dogfight.
In the tent they are not teathered but I have to be ready to grab a collar if some raindeer pass by.
Your solution with a trolly line sounds good. I just go for the simpler solution.
Also, the last picture shows normal behavior after a days work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE