Large flint nodules from Sussex, any guidance?

Jul 12, 2017
Manchester
Hi folks.
I want to collect some large flint nodules to use for flintknapping. We are having a trip in a transit to Hastings to visit a friend. I would like to come home with some large nodules. Has anyone any advice as to where may be a good place to pick up some? I know the best nodules are straight from the chalk, but for me I think any large pieces will do. I will be collecting some beach cobbles but they tend to be a little battered and only good for smaller stuff.
Thanks.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Anywhere on the South Downs, it's everywhere. Find a path like the South Downs way where the chalk is showing through and you'll find it.

If you're coming anywhere near West Sussex come and see me. I've got some big chunks in the garden and can take you to many more within a mile of here.

Jul 12, 2017
Manchester
Thanks for the info. A second question, as you are indigenous! We will probably be in your neck of the woods at some point so a flint hunt would be good. I want to check out the Arun Gap as I believe a flint seam has been revealed by the cut of the river over time. That is not necessarily to collect, but look and photograph. I am hiring a transit for the week, and using a drive away awning. I have seen on forums that some campsites don't let commercial vehicles on site. Can you recommend any campsites in that area? If you have any recommendations then I will then give them a ring to check.
Thanks.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Though we're only 3 miles away, we use New House Farm at East Dean. Mellow as you like, fires allowed, wood on sale, camper vans etc allowed. Really nice spot.

http://www.nhfcamping.com/contact-us.html

Did have a lovely seam of jet black flint along the riverbank at Houghton, but the scree from the cliff now covers it.

Give me a shout if you're coming this way, I'll come and say hello, maybe put the tent up :)

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017
Manchester
Fresh Flint is supposed to be the best, so maybe in the recent land slides?

I used to find some interesting stuff at the Seven Sisters. Have a couple of flint stones that were formed in the skeleton of a sea urchin.
You can also find nodules of iron pyrite ( I think it is anyway)

You might find bits of a WW2 german plane that crashed in the sea outside the S.S. National Park. Bits of the Aluminium skin usually.

We will have a look at the Seven Sisters area and see what is what!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE