LARGE COMFORTABLE BACKPACK RECOMMENDATIONS

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
I don't have expensive kit, but I am slowly getting my pack weight down from nearly 25 kg (that was fun!!) to about 15kg. Carrying water is the thing I hate.
And yes I use synthetic sleeping bags.....

Reactions: leanrascal

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Down bags are surely fantastic if used in the Sahara or if you line it with such a sweaty plastic bag, a VBL liner, in order to keep it dry while you visit the south pole.

:biggrin:

The Snugpak Special Forces sleep system isn't the lightest option but nevertheless in my opinion the best, because you get condensation rather in the thinner outer bag and can dry the stuff seperately. It has also a lot of other advantages compared to other sleeping bags and sleep systems. But I wrote already half a kilometer about it in this forum and don't repeat it here.

I don't use the lightest possible equipment too. For me the items have to be
1. As practical as possible
2. As robust as needed
3. As durable as possible
4. Afterwards I look for the lightest option.

I am currently a bit stressed because I have a lot of things to do, but if you want to write such a list it takes a bit time anyway. If you do it, I will take the time to look through it. Perhaps I will find some bricks in your luggage. Who knows?

So, may be next weekend or a bit afterwards you might write such a list.
Do me a favour please and keep it approximately in the order below to make it easier for me.

Item, maker, model, weight in grams is the most sensible line.

And please approximately like this here:

Starter Kit

Packing list for use in the warmer month.
You just should cover all needs technically.
Product recommendations are meant in case that you don't own already a similar item.

Rucksack (Karrimor SF Sabre 45 with side pouches)
Bin bag as Rucksack liner

Stuffed to the bottom of the main compartment:
Sleeping bag (Snugpak Special Forces 1)
(It fits in the)
Bivvy bag
(Snugpak Special Forces)
(and both together very well into the Ortlieb drybag PS10, grey, 7 litres)
On top of it in the main compartment:
Little bag (Ortlieb drybag PS10, black, 7 litres)
It is used as pillow too during the night,
containing the following:
- Jacket (Solognac fleece jacket 300)
- Spare underwear 1X Breefs and T-shirt
- Woolen spare socks 1X (Quecha SH 500 merino)
- Swimming shorts 1X

On top of it in the main compartment, but outside the liner:
Tarp and Rainsuit
Or better real Military Poncho
(German, Austrian, Dutch or US army, the Italian army poncho is available new from Defcon 5 and by far the lightest)

On top of it, outside but under the flap:
Roll mat (Austrian, Dutch, or US army used British army mat is available as MULTIMAT NATO MAT new)
Closed cell foam

In the flap pocket:
Cordage (Edelrid Multicord 2,5 mm orange)
2x 3 metres / 2x 10 feet should be enough for the poncho, 1,5 metres / 5 feet for the tripod
Cigarette lighter (Bic)
Candle as fire starter, in a plastic bag.
A few drips of wax on the twigs help a lot!
Toilet paper (in a zipp lock freezer bag)
Also for cleaning the pot a bit.
Wash kit (in a zipp lock freezer bag)
Folding tooth brush, tooth paste, soap in a small bottle (Sea to Summit Bodywash 3 floz / 89 ml), razor (Wilkinson's orange), wrapped into a small mircofibre towel (Nabaji size S)
Topographical map 1:50 000 (in a zipp lock freezer bag)
Compass (Suunto M9 wrist band compass)
Head lamp (Petzl e+ lite)

Side pouch left:
Full tang knife (Morakniv Garberg stainless steel with leather sheath)
Water bottle (2x) with (1x) nesting
Mug (and belt pouch)
(US army or other military surplus or Lixada 750 ml stainless steel mug with bail and butterfly handles and Nalgene Everyday 32 oz / 1 litre wide mouth, clear)

Side pouch right:
Pot (Pathfinder Bushpot 64 oz /1800 ml)
Put it into a cotton or plastic bag, because it would make your other equipment dirty.
Cooking chaine 3 feet / 1 metre, with open hooks in the ends. You hang with it your pot under a tripod. And / or a gas stove, for example Alpkit Kraku.
Spoon (A usual stainless steel spoon from the flea market.)
Cotton Handkerchief
Several times folded usable as pot holder and pre filter before water purification by boiling.
Food
The pot works as mouse proof container outside the rucksack and separated from it during the night.

ON THE MAN:

Hiking boots (Meindl Ortler or Schladminger 100)
Woolen Socks (Quecha SH 500 merino)
Underwear
Trousers or Shorts
(Solognac Steppe 300 or shorts 100)
Belt (Solognac Belt 100)
Cigarette lighter (Bic)
Purse / wallet As simple and light as possible.
House keys Attached with cordage to the belt.
T-shirt (Solognac 100)
Shirt (Buttoned long sleeve shirt with two pockets and flaps over it. German army shirt, olive, by Anton Bloechel)

I guess I will have no time to work on it during the next 2 or 3 weeks anyway.
So, take your comfortable time please!

z_bumbi

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2016
Linköping, Sweden
I am using two different packs that would fit that role.
The first is Berghaus Crusader which is 90L + 2x10L detachable side pockets. Tends to be available in OD and still available new/unissued.
The second option is ex Dutch Army Lowe Alpine Saracen, which is 100L + 2x10L side pockets. Almost impossible to find new/unisued, and DPM far more common than OD. Grade 1 issued can be found easily online.
The crusader harness has fixed back length so pack is available in four sizes. I am 6'5" and use size 4.
The Saracen has APS 5 adustable back sytem.
I have not yet used the Saracen in anger but I found the Crusader tough on the shoulders when carrying 15kg+.

For the cruaders there is also 15 l sidepockets and some more alternativet to expand the size.
If one swapes the lid to a lightweigt one without pockets and skips the sidepockets one saves nearly a kilo in weight and it's still a very large backpack.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
For the cruaders there is also 15 l sidepockets and some more alternativet to expand the size.
If one swapes the lid to a lightweigt one without pockets and skips the sidepockets one saves nearly a kilo in weight and it's still a very large backpack.
Much prefer the Saracen..........(I have the smaller Sting; fabulous pack albeit in camo.....)
For a lighter but similar pack to the Crusader, there are the Snugpak Rocketpack (70 litre) and Bergen (100 litre).....?

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Are the Snugpak rucksacks a serious competition to Berghaus rucksacks?
My impression is that the British made Snugpak products are high end quality equipment but the cheaper imported things rather average civil outdoor quality.

Last summer I digged out my imported Snugpak jungle bag and the not easily replaceable elastic drawstring degraded in the storage during the pandemia, the threads did earlier pull out the fabric in the washing machine.
It's a in the first view and use convincing but short lasting disposable sleeping bag. A cheap throw away articles and in my opinion not worth the money.

My slightly older and hundred times more used British made Snugpak Special Forces 1 sleeping bag looks like new. That thing is a real bargain although in the first view more expensive than the jungle bag.

I think the additional available larger Berghaus Crusader side pockets (15 litres) fit at the Berghaus Atlas 4 as well, but I didn't try it out because the Atlas 4 is already big enough for me. Might be interesting though if you want to put a Mors Pot or Pathfinder Bush Pot 64 oz / 180 ml in there, that fits into the Atlas side pouches but a bit tight for my taste. The Atlas side pouches are obviously made for the German army mess kit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laurence Milton

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Are the Snugpak rucksacks a serious competition to Berghaus rucksacks?
My impression is that the British made Snugpak products are high end quality equipment but the cheaper imported things rather average civil outdoor quality.

Last summer I digged out my imported Snugpak jungle bag and the not easily replaceable elastic drawstring degraded in the storage during the pandemia, the threads did earlier pull out the fabric in the washing machine.
It's a in the first view and use convincing but short lasting disposable sleeping bag. A cheap throw away articles and in my opinion not worth the money.

My slightly older and hundred times more used British made Snugpak Special Forces 1 sleeping bag looks like new. That thing is a real bargain although in the first view more expensive than the jungle bag.

I think the additional available larger Berghaus Crusader side pockets (15 litres) fit at the Berghaus Atlas 4 as well, but I didn't try it out because the Atlas 4 is already big enough for me. Might be interesting though if you want to put a Mors Pot or Pathfinder Bush Pot 64 oz / 180 ml in there, that fits into the Atlas side pouches but a bit tight for my taste. The Atlas side pouches are obviously made for the German army mess kit.
The Snugpak Bergen is a lighter weight civilian bergen, but is plenty strong enough in my experience.....unless you are going to repeatedly drop it from a helicopter down a mountain scree? It's lighter weight for most normal people would be a boon?;)

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE