Large Burl on Birch Tree

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Wow that’s quite a specimen Harvestman, it looks like that is the result of pollarding, what’s the tree, is it ash? -- I saw a great old pollarded oak tree near the Kymin by Monmouth a couple of years ago which is unusual because it actually shows on the OS map (it’s about one kilometre east of the kymin on the left hand side of the A4136 by Broadstone farm) Thanks for posting :)

I'm not sure what it is. I had a look but didn't come to a conclusion.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I'm not sure what it is. I had a look but didn't come to a conclusion.

it's a black poplar harvestman, i've just found it on the woodland trust site, and yes it is the result of pollarding as i suspected, here's the photo on wd site

ImageServer.aspx

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
it's a black poplar harvestman, i've just found it on the woodland trust site, and yes it is the result of pollarding as i suspected, here's the photo on wd site

ImageServer.aspx

That's great! Thank you. Black Poplar are not common locally, and are well known for their gnarly 'bosses' on the trunk. Incidentally, their bark is Mors Kochanski's preferred bearing block for fire by friction.

I'm pleased that my tree identification instincts held up too. It didn't look right for anything common.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
That's great! Thank you. Black Poplar are not common locally, and are well known for their gnarly 'bosses' on the trunk. Incidentally, their bark is Mors Kochanski's preferred bearing block for fire by friction.

I'm pleased that my tree identification instincts held up too. It didn't look right for anything common.

no it's not a common tree any more, a very good find, that's interesting about the bearing block too, thankyou for sharing :)

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
blooming heck that's incredible TallTom :) if it was more remote it would be a target for the burl bandits (i'm not kidding there really is such a thing, well in california anyhow burl bandits ) Thanks for posting.
Your welcome, I recently saw a program involving burl hunters, after hearing what some went for I though there must be some black market stuff, I called it burl poaching at the time, but Burl Bandits has a much better ring to it.

Here's the other side, just because.

27948fcec1b0601cb03b3c7eff0f6cde.jpg

Sep 23, 2014
United Kingdom
I found loads about the size of those OP's pics here near Tunbridge Wells. Funnily enough they're on land belonging to the 'Burrswood' Estate, no idea if there's a connection. The valley remains very damp even in the middle of summer, good for keeping the dog cool when it's normally too hot for a walk.

Quick question (not that I'm going to do it!) - does removing them kill the tree?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Quick question (not that I'm going to do it!) - does removing them kill the tree?

I think you'll find that that will depend on a lot of different factors; health of the tree, climate, time of year you cut and how big the burl is in relation to the tree size. It wouldn't be a problem with the larger ones as there wouldn't be much tree left to damage :)

We have members here with a much greater depth of knowledge than me, perhaps you'll get one of those along to answer this one.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Your welcome, I recently saw a program involving burl hunters, after hearing what some went for I though there must be some black market stuff, I called it burl poaching at the time, but Burl Bandits has a much better ring to it.

Here's the other side, just because.

27948fcec1b0601cb03b3c7eff0f6cde.jpg

Do you know what sort of tree it is, as in species?

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
With a little research I have discovered it's a lemon tree, and over a century old, probably brought over from brazil.
Edit:
I found a photo I took of a plaque on the tree. Translated it and it's not a lemon tree.
The Americans call it Poke berry or poke weed, the translation from the plaque said the common name was beautiful shadow, which I much prefer. Latin name, Phytolacca L. (Http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytolacca)

Sorry for the miss-information

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Edit:
I found a photo I took of a plaque on the tree. Translated it and it's not a lemon tree.
The Americans call it Poke berry or poke weed, the translation from the plaque said the common name was beautiful shadow, which I much prefer. Latin name, Phytolacca L. (Http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytolacca)

Sorry for the miss-information

Thanks for the update TallTom :) From reading the wiki link i see the tree is the species ''Ombu'' Phytolacca Dioica. It's amazing how nature creates things to cope with particular environments, apparently the large base is normal for the species to allow for high water storage which makes therm resilient to fires and drought in it's natural habitat, apparently it is the only tree-like plant that lives on the Pampas where it is often known as ''Lighthouses'' because it provides shade. The leaves can be used for a hot drink. Thankyou for posting Talltom, most interesting. here is another link with more information on the tree, ATB [SIZE=+4][SIZE=+1]:)

http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/ombu.htm
[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
This one I found during a hike a couple of weeks ago here in the Czech Republic:

WOW, Another tremendous specimen, thankyou for posting Dabberty :) (is it Beech ?) --- knowing nothing about the Czech Republic I did a bit of a google and accidentally discovered your blog Dabberty about the trip where that burl was found, I also watched the vid about the trip. What a fantastic trip you had, those ancient ruins are really amazing, what is it’s past history. I guess the gun fortifications are from WW2 ?. Perhaps that deer losing blood had been shot and injured, if so the shot was well off target if it hit the back leg (rifle shot ? or something else, don’t know hunting laws there). Nice to see that big burl on the vid at 4:28 and also the second burl too at 7:30. The Czech Republic looks fantastic. Thankyou very much for posting, I thoroughly enjoyed both blog and vid. ATB :)

Dabberty’s blog, large burl is shown on photo 19, other photos excellent too:-

http://dabberty.com/

Dabberty’s 3 day trip:- (burl is at 4:28 but the whole vid is great):-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpKPYNQb2SY

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE