Larch Tea?

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
Hi all,

I want to try pine tea, I'm sure it'll be grim stuff but well keen all the same to at least experience it. Thing is, round my way we have no pines that I've found, save a few scots pines on a roundabout and I can't reach them.

I've looked around and can see that people do drink a tea made from larch - so it'd be safe, but I'm wondering if this would be a good example of pine tea? Larches / pines / firs...I think I might be confusing them.

I've been learning as I go with trees, pines not so much though as I've concentrated on the trees around me mostly.

Thanks for any advice

Brady

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Not done larch tea but have done pine tea. It's not bad but I wouldn't have it for every brew. Pine and nettle...now that's a brew that'll put chest hair on you.

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
Cheers mate!

Upon more reading, it seems larch is good for dodgy tums and expelling tapeworms, also good in the bath and to ward off enchantments! It's the vit C of pine needle tea drawing me in, I'll hopefully find some soon.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Larch (known as Tamerack in north America) is a deciduous tree, they shed their needles in autum and are just about starting to grow their new ones about now.....which makes them easy to spot at the moment. Every year I am called by at least a coupe of new home owners to quote for taking down their dead pine...and they are most surprised when I tell them it's a Larch and it isn't dead....just sleeping lol

There's lots of pines about with Scots Pines being usually the most prevelant. If you can't reach the high branches then wait until it's been windy (again now is a good time lol) and pick up a few sprigs and use the needles from them.

I personally prefer spruce tea...but my six year old likes pine tea best....we both think that either can be improved with a spoon of honey :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE