Lanyards

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Someone (I don't remember who and can't find the thread so I may have jsut dreamt the whole thing up!) was asking me about lanyards. Well, today I came across this site that takes a detailed look at lanyards:

http://bill-hay.com/Lanyard.htm

My question is, how many people actually use lanyards? Is that lanyard hole on your knive used or just a hole? If you do use a lanyard, what uses do you put it to?

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
with knifes I dont use a lanyard i dont like the idea that if i slip or fall the knife will be swinging around attatched to my wrist (in the case of a short wrist lanyard) rather than dropping to the ground, with a long lanyard attached to your belt etc it tends to just get in the way and if you drop the knife it swings into your leg :yikes:

I do use one with my leatherman though, as with all small items compass etc

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I always put a lanyard on equipment. They vary from small loops of paracord or accessory cord of different thickness' and now I have several braided leather ones. I use them to find equipment in pockets or bags rather than as a securing wrist loop. The only thing I haven't put them in is my Gransfors, never seen the need.

They can be just for decoration or be a useful store for emergency cord, can't remember who now but someone has lots of cord as a carrying loop and wrapped around the sheath of their woodlore.

Bill

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I remember a lanyard discussion, but don't remember if it was here or on BB.

There are several reasons for using a lanyard:
- it helps to pull a knife from a deep pouch sheath
- it can help to stop stubbing
- it can stop a knife that you put down for a moment from sliding or falling into the river or sea.

I have a length of sheet on my Iberson sailing knife. I tied a monkey's fist at one end, and secured a snap ring on the other, so I can attach this to the lanyard ring, or detach it, at will.

Keith.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
I use a very long lanyard on my sheaths, but I also have a toggle on them so that I can shorten them as necessary. I tend to switch between round the neck and baldrick style or even shoulder holster style, such as when I'm leaning over the fire or tending to food. I have enough trouble not setting fire to my skirts (and hair!) without my knives falling in too! :wave:

So put me down as a big lanyard fan - but then you knew that already Adi! :wink: (He gets a new bit of kit and I always say to him do you want that lanyard or can I pinch that toggle!) :-D

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I'm a big fan of the lanyard coil knot, or hangmans knot as it's also called. I use it on both the sheath and the lanyard hole on my fixed blades. I use 550 cordage for the lanyard strap material so that I have a little extra cordage if and when I need it.

I rarely loop the strap around my wrist, because as Stuart pointed out, it makes for a dangerous situation if the knife slips from your hand or you let go of the blade when falling, etc. I do however loop a finger or thumb, depending on what I'm using the knife for and how I'll be holding it and then secure my closed hand to the knife with the strap by wrapping it around my hand and then tucking it under another finger(s). Much better control under all circumstances. Even if I lose my footing or fall while holding onto the blade, I have complete control over where the blade is in relation to my body. Or, that is the theory anyways. :wink:

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I find they get in the way when im using my knife but i do use them when im in a boat or when im working at heights for obvious reasons.
I carry a short length of para cord to use as a lanyard on my SAK but often use it on screwdrivers or spanners if im working up a ladder or on scaffolding.
Can't stand them on my fixed blades or axe's.
RB

mercury

Forager
Jan 27, 2004
East Yorkshire England
Being of a military bent I use lanyards on my compass and folding knife , I tie them off in the loops in my combat smock pockets. There are two reasons for this

A: I wont drop them out of my pocket or if I do they wont fall far

B: IT stops thieving individuals from helping themselves when I turn my back

I hate losing things , but love finding them , last night in our bar I found one of those nice blowtorch gas lighters :lol:

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
I don't like long lanyards that get in the way.

I do use a short lanyard on sheath knives just to help pull the knife clear of a deep sheath.

I find the most useful lanyard by far is a loop of around 8-10 inches circumference to secure a chopping tool in the hand:

Make a "thumbs up" gesture, uncurl the fingers but without rotating the hand. Hang the knife from your thumb with the lanyard across the back of your hand. turn your palm down and take hold of the knife handle. The lanyard should be snug across the back of the hand and will stop the knife flying forward out of your hand when chopping - even if you completely relax your gip on the handle.

Cheers

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
mercury said:
I hate losing things , but love finding them , last night in our bar I found one of those nice blowtorch gas lighters :lol:

If it's a green Windmill Delta ...it's the one I lost in Masham a year ago. Give it back!!

Burnt Ash

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I find them a nuisance, i cant see anything practical about having a lanyard on your knife. They feel uncomfortable when they are in your hand and i agree with stuart, the idea of a swinging knife aint good! (especially after a session on the starkie ;) )

Cheers,

Jake

Colin KC

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 21, 2003
The Bottom of England
alick said:
Make a "thumbs up" gesture, uncurl the fingers but without rotating the hand. Hang the knife from your thumb with the lanyard across the back of your hand. turn your palm down and take hold of the knife handle. The lanyard should be snug across the back of the hand and will stop the knife flying forward out of your hand when chopping - even if you completely relax your gip on the handle.

Absolutely Alick!

By far the best method for securing a knife (though I rarely use a lanyard mesself :roll: )

It is very easy to control if the tool slips out of your hand (unlike the wrist method)

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Having just learnt how to braid a lanyard,I put one on my knife, to objectively evaluate it.
I have never used a lanyard and thought them a unnessicary hinderance on a knife handle,although this opinion was arrived at without any experience of using one!
This weekend I was chopping off some of the late summer bramble invasion,where the brambles send out the long and vigorous runners. on one particularly large bramble I shifted my grip to the rear of the handle to get more weight into the swing. no surprise when it slipped from my fingers on one hefty swing.The lanyard however just slid into my fingers and held the knife.Without it the knife would have been launched into a huge bank of brambles which would have required the British expeditionary Force to extract it. The lanyard is also handy for drawing the knife from its sheath.
In conclusion I found none of the negative points raised had much foundation in practice and as well as being decorative it is a practical addition to a knife handle. I am a convert.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I don't use them while holding the knife / axe / whatever... but I find them really handy for hanging things up... I also have a little lock knife tied to a LED torch, bottle opener and fire stick that I keep in my pocket.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE