Language the other side of the pond.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I often watch US Bushcrafters on YouTube, but one thing has me mystified. Can anybody explain to me what is a "Pharoah Rod" :D

Reactions: SaraR

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
The series AS TIME GIES BY had a local character on the father’s country estate. His unintelligible speech pattern captured the many local dialects in the UK.
English , for now, is the universal language. Try helping a Indian -American friend explaining to a Lorrie driver from South Carolina speaking grulla ( a coastal black dialect noted for extremely rapid speech) his vegetarian restaurant and store didn’t order 1000 honey baked hams.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Something to remember when being amused or bemused by American pronounciation is that in quite a few cases, they have retained a pronounciation from an earlier form of English. Sometimes something more in line with what was brought over by the Normans. It isn't all a result of Webster and his letter pruning.

Other times....well, it is just the accents. My English mum nearly had a falling out with my US gran one lunch for failing to understand what "sty yeps" meant. We had only got there a day or two before and mum hadn't had a chance to tune her ear to the Midwestern drawl.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Something to remember when being amused or bemused by American pronounciation is that in quite a few cases, they have retained a pronounciation from an earlier form of English

Very true, that.
There are some parts of America (somewhere in the New England area I seem to recall) who speak a dialect and pronunciation not too far removed from Shakespeare.
Words we normally think of as Americanisms (e.g. 'moron', 'Fall' (for Autumn), 'trash' (for rubbish - this one was used by Shakespeare), and 'gotten', plus many others) are perfectly good pieces of British English, but they just fell out of use.
I think Bill Bryson put it best, when challenged that Americans abuse the Queen's English - she's not my Queen!
And quite right too.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
In both of the above two posts, we see the glories of the language! No-one holds sway and the range and variations used across the globe make English so exciting. To homogenise it would be to limit its expressive value and power. "Vive la difference!" as we tend to say in Gloucestershire...

Reactions: tree beard

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The cleaned up quote goes on about English being the language that chases others down dark alleyways to riffle their pockets for spare vocabulary.

James D. Nicol is the name to search for the original full quote though.

Reactions: Winnet

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
One of my survival jobs hired a recent immigrant from Cobb Ireland. Her accent on the intercom
Sounded like Flann O’Brian’s hilarious story of a linguist recording pure Gaelic. I wound up ‘translating’ until she smoothed the rough edges.
We’re sitting at high tea AKA lunch
And a smitten customer asked where she was from?
Ireland’ gee, you speak pretty good English!’
Deirdre rolled her eyes. I called him an idiot in Gaelic. She giggled along with an amazed look I could speak it.
Guy asks me what language was that?
Navajo. ‘ You don’t look Indian.’

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Years ago I met in a Youth Hostel a fantastic girl from Ireland and immediately fell in love just by looking at her.
Unfortunately I didn't understand her at all.

:wideyed:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE