Landowner Trouble

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
G

Ginja

Greetings All. Just curious if anyone here has ever got into any kind of troublesome or difficult situations with landowners, and in particular, how you dealt with it at the time?

For example - getting caught wild camping without permission; causing damage to property (accidentally, I hope!); receiving blame for vandalism; worrying livestock (!), etc ... :nono:

I'm not necessarily looking for comical/funny stories (though you're very welcome!). I'm just interested in the types of situation that can arise, and in particular, the 'right' way of dealing with them - though there plenty of lessons to be learnt from the wrong way of doing things, of course!

Posting this thread as I'm currently reading up on Rights of Way, etc, as part of my Mountain Leader training, and have been told that this is something to swot up on (haven't even done the ML training course yet, so VERY early days! I'll keep y'all posted in the blogging forum once I've started proper).

Cheers me dears,

G :wink:

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
As a kid, most of my camping etc was done around the lake district so we would either use proper sites or go high enough up that we we camping on the "common" land. I never had any of the problems that you describe, but in other parts of the country on a couple of occasions I've come across public rights of way blocked by landowners. Never made a big deal of this just took down their barriers. (there was BTW no question about the validity of the right of way and no risk of letting stock wander). There is lots of potential for conflict of interest in the countryside between the various different types of users (bikes, horses, 4x4's, walkers ...) not to mention landowners so tolerance and consideration are essential IMO.

Cheers

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I get trouble when I'm out on the bike. I've had walkers complain at me for riding on specialy made cycle tracks or paths which though bridal ways have got a bit overgrown so they assume are foot paths. Since I go there or our local common I don't have trouble with land owners,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE