Land Rover Breakdown. Possible solutions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Glyn287

Mar 24, 2015
Northwest
If you manage to free it off don't apply the handbrake when you park it up in your garage just leave it in gear till you get it sorted by the garage.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
:D I just left it for 8 hours or so, without hand brake on, then revved it a bit in reverse and with a clank this time it moved.....

Its going in on the 9th. But Im putting it in a LR dealership because they have a machine that resets the electronics, so my eco thingy should work again.....

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
What is the average income for a small child these days?.....kudos on planning to get an ankle biter to go out to work for ya though, you just don't see forward planning likebthat these days :cool:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
What!, now folks will forever have to wonder what you did with the *lap dancers, sausages, and a dog :lmao:

*Genuinely was in his last post pre edit

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
What!, now folks will forever have to wonder what you did with the *lap dancers, sausages, and a dog :lmao:

*Genuinely was in his last post pre edit

Was it in an Alaskan log cabin wearing nothing but his beard though? :rolleyes: That'd make an awesome story... this one time, in a log cabin, in Alaska, we had these lap dancers, these sausages..... :p

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Solution to Landie issues - buy a Toyota!!

The problem there is that you will now have Toyota issues. I've got both a Toyota and a Land Rover and neither is without fault, it's just that the Toyota faults cost so much more to rectify.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
but they are so much less frequent!

For me the Yota makes more sense if you lack the capability or desire for DIY repairs, the Landy make more sense if you like to tinker and fettle

To be honest, neither of the bulbs that went in my Land Cruiser in over 100,000 miles was expensive to replace. There were no other faults.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
but they are so much less frequent!

Up until the Toyota hit 100000 miles then it all went a bit pear shaped. The Landy seems to be getting more reliable as it passes 260000 miles and 26 years old while the Toyota is now a total liability at 170000 miles and 14 years old. Love em both but don't believe the rumours that Defenders are as unreliable as some people say or that Toyotas are particularly reliable.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We'll have to agree to disagree. I have had three landrover Defenders and not one has ever achieved even 30,000 miles without a mechanical problem. We have had two Yotas and neither had an issue in 100,000.For us, thats definitive. I just want a car to be reliable and, fun as they are, Land Rover build quality is woeful in our not inconsiderable experience.

As I said before, they are fun cars for those who like to tinker though!

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Hope you haven't got an autobox Landcruiser. The manual box is OK but the auto will suffer from cracked cooling pipes, usually at 7 years old.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Did have - Colorado auto. No issues with the cooling inover ten years

Not sure about the Colorado but the Amazon has a few well documented issues with the transmission. One is a bearing failure that causes the clutch packs to fail, another is failure of proportioning valves when the box is used for towing or used off-road and then there is the very common fault with the gearbox radiator being mounted inside the engine cooling radiator. Cracks in the tranny radiator allow coolant to enter the auto box causing total failure.

Anyway I still dream about making a Landrover fitted with Nissan Patrol axles, A Toyota 4.2 or Mazda diesel engine, a New Process gearbox, galvanised metalwork and improved electrics!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE