Lamps and lanterns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I quite like my old fashioned Tilly lamp. Gives out a great light, easy to use and gives off a great heat in the winter. That hiss always reminds me of trips I've had in Nepal where the are used all the time. Other than that I use a Petzl and the light of my fire.

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
I have a couple of old X246s that I like to use for the longer autumn / winter nights. I have never used a Bialaddin / Vapalux before, but I'd like to. :)

I take it you know about sticking one of the legs under the burner of a 210 or 00 to get a large yellow candle like flame Rik?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Tilley lamps are good, but are not the easiest to light as the preheating wick is exposed to wind, this is where the Vapalux/Bialaddin win, as the wick is inside the glass shade; this means the lamp starts a lot easier. :)

retrohiker

Jul 2, 2005
Ohio, USA
Grooveski said:
Anybody tried a CMG Bonfire ? I was toying with getting one for reading in the hammock. Not keen on candles around the midgie net.
The Blaze version looks like it might be more useful as a general lantern but for reading I think the original model would do nicely.

I've got one of the Bonfires. Nice light for general light in a tent but it's pretty big for the amount of light it puts out. It has a really diffuse, soft light that might work in a hammock set-up but you could probably do better by just rigging up one of the small Photon lights on the ridgeline in your hammock. Much, much smaller and a bright light to read by.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Just realised I've made no attempt to answer the original question and just barged on in with my questions about LED lights, so my apologies Rik. :)

As you've gathered, I'm still researching the big base camp lamp and will keep you posted. For camping, I have a little Coleman gas lantern with a piezo ignition. It's reasonably bright for its size, but I don't like the sound it makes.

For "bush camps" I've a bushlite and two of the Uco-style candle lanterns from Ebay, all of which I think are great. They give a bright enough light, without the big roar of a gas lantern. I have a fauxton torch permanently on the ridgeline of my hammock, which gives a good bright light - plenty for getting ready for bed or reading - and it's small enough to put away with the hammock when it gets rolled up. Finally a Princeton Aurora hedtorch and a couple of little CR123 torches for other jobs.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Bigman said:
I use a twin mantle coleman, runs on unleaded petrol.

I use the same. It's really bright so you can do stuff around the tent at night. Great when there's quite a few of you as you can all see with the same light source.

If there were five or six of you sitting around chatting and all using headlamps it would get a bit annoying. :p

The mantles on the Coleman are delicate though so it's a good idea to have a couple of spares with you just in case.

I tried using one of those lanterns with an energy saving bulb that runs on a rechargeable 6v battery. It was okay, not very bright but decent. The battery doesn't last long and neither did the lamp itself (less than a month in fact).

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Coleman NorthStar for outside, loadsa light.
Just fill with unleaded and hit the button (electronic ignition) , these are great.
Mine has never failed to light even on the worst storm beach and i never do any maintenance to it :eek:
mournes009_1.jpg

Bushlite candle lamp for inside tent - heat's the tent up a treat.
364_6408_1a.jpg

Regular torch - Surefire U2 in pocket
Head torch - Petzl zoom's (2 on one head band - one clear and one red filter).

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I never used a Coleman stove but my lamp only ever runs on unleaded and has never missed a beat after years of use and abuse.

I use mine a lot for beach/rock fishing at night so i usually run it flat out at the start of the night when im getting all my kit sorted out and then back it off to a lower output when im set up so it might be giving everything a good flush out ?

rb

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Drifting a bit OT, but I still use my Tilley and Anchor lights for fishing sessions.
Never mind the transportation probs.

Never mind that the mantles are flimsy , the glass is fragile and your big galump of a fishing buddy will always knock the thing over with his clumsy feet.

The thing is, they, re great for warming up meat pies and tins of beans!

Ceeg

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
Small LED head torch for quick midnight trips to the loo, or at times when night visibility is too bad for eyes to work unaided. Got it from Halfords quite cheap and it has a hinge so can be angled/tilted downwrads so you don't splash your shoes :)

Only other lamp I use is a Bushlite Candle lamp, same as Rapidboy has.
I usually hang it from a stick next to my bivvy, you get a nice glow from it, directional if you use a reflector......it does get hot though though watch your fingers.

M

mikehill

Anyone tried Krills ? I know they don't throw out much light but for reading in a hammock they'd be great :)
Mike.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
I've got a 180 degree Krill. Seems pretty good in the Tipi, enough light for finding kit and moving about inside. I used it for reading on a car journey a little while ago and it's enough light for that. Not bright enough for anything other than a marker outside.

I have an old Vapalux I was restoring, but, devoid of a workshop at the moment it's having to wait. Used a couple of times and it was great but it still leaks :confused: . Heat output was proved to be enough to warm up a boil in the bag!

maddave said:
I use a bushlite when on the move and in camp I use a coleman gas lantern (F1)

I have a bushlite and also a cheap imitation of the same. I find that they're both utterly useless whilst on the move because there's no reflector on the top, so you get too much light in your eyes rather than on the surroundings.

I use a maglite whilst on the move, and use the bushlite for in my tent, for both light and heat.

The imitation jobbie can be used with a candle or with parafin, but I've only used the candle so far and I was very surprised to find that the glass doesn't get hot at all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE