Lamps and lanterns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
What do you guys and gals use for lighting in a fixed camp, and when on the move (ignoring LED's etc)

I like Bialaddin/Vapalux in a fixed camp (and the odd hurricane lamp) and use a candle lantern when on the move

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
I don't really like lanterns, they spread light everywhere, which ruins your night visions. Which you need because most lanterns are not powerfull enough to light things up properly enough.
A headlight or just a hand torch will only light up things you want to light up, which will usually means it gives plenty of light where you want it.

philm4

Oct 17, 2004
Midlands
Fixed camp I use a basic gas lantern, as they give out enough light to comfortably read and fill and area with useable light. They are only an option if you have an ability to move heavy loads such as a car. On the move and if camping on my own I find a headtorch is the most effective means of lighting as the light is always where you want it and never in your eyes. You can't beat a Petzl Tikka+ for around camp. In addition to this I find a candle or two adds a bit of ambient light and atmosphere in any camping situation, I have seen candle lanterns and would quite like one but I just use jamjars and tealights.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
I have a uco candle lantern and really like it for a tent light (careful were you put it - they get blistering hot). They have a nice comforting glow.

However they are expensive. People on this site have been able to get cheap uco-type lanterns on ebay for as little as £3.00 and are very happy with them.

I would say that in the open a single candle lantern doesn't throw a heck of a lot of light - they benefit from something to bounce off - phill's comment above about 'useable light' is dead right.

uco do sell a 'candelier' version with multiple candles which might be good for your needs. I shudder at the thought of the price though.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Hi Folks,

The definition of a "Fixed camp" please?

Sorry to sound a bit dense, but are we talking tented area for a few days or a week or so, or a really permenant "fixed camp"...

LS

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
i think he means, an area you will be staying for more than just resting.
so a temporary home from home, which could be:
a huge multi shelter area, or one tarp.

on camp definately an old hurricane style unpressurised parafin lantern,

reasons,

it will last all night.
the bulb won't break or pop.
it provides a "view of the local surroundings"
they spread light everywhere, which ruins your night visions
which is especially good for newbies , that are scared of the dark.
it gives a home feel.

yes it ruins your night vision but so do most light sources, i use these lanterns at work and i find that if you don't stare at the flame rather people or the ground you still have much of your vision.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I was kindly provided recently with a couple of LED lanterns (what a lovely woman I have). They run on 4 D cells so are heavy when batteried up, but provide a fantastic clean light, run for many, many hours on a single set of batteries (20+) are fire safe for tents / kids etc. and great for passing wine bottles round the fire or late night brews etc. They come from Attelborough Accesories and gets a "Red Recommends" as a family (child) friendly lantern. Useful home backup if you live out in the sticks like me and have consigned my Coleman Dual Fuel to occasional use now

Red

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Sorry, by fixed camp I meant somewhere you would stay for a day or more; got there by car or were in a group where weight is not a real issue.

Hurricane lamps are very reliable, the Army Bialaddin/Vapalux pressure lamps really throw out the light and a little over a Kw of heat

The LED headtorches are as cheap as chips and work well to read by or find a spot to park your spade in the dark

These are OK as well
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canal-Barge-w...ryZ69834QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I bought a job lot a couple of years ago, great for the money you pay.

I don't worry about losing night vision as I don't hunt now. I'm new to this forum and must say how friendly it is, a pleasure to visit

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
normally use a battery lantern, but for my last holiday in cornwall camping, bought a colman F1 lantern, one of the mesh globe jobs, useful amount of light but it was especially handy for warming the tent up as a couple of nights it got quite cold.

i'd recomend one.

steve

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
If I have the space etc I bring one of my Optimus or Radius pressurized kerosene lamps. They are heavy and the mantles are very easily broken but the gentle hissing of the lamp gives such a nice feeling. They give so much light that I can continue carving or cooking etc for as long as I want.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
To expand on my first post now that I have established the type of camp from Rappleby2000.

"i think he means, an area you will be staying for more than just resting.
so a temporary home from home, which could be:
a huge multi shelter area, or one tarp."

When off on one nighters I just stick with the LED head light and a small battery lantern with a dim feature...

At my permanent camp site I have a mixture of lighting...There are four of the cheapie wick and paraffin lanterns, a couple of the Gaz type mantle lanterns, a Tilley pressurized lantern which is usually a bit of a pain to get lit, in the toilet area we have a couple of 50 watt 12 volt lights running off a couple of 12 v jelly batteries, in the smaller shelter there are a series of car interior lights and a small flourecent light again on a 12 volt battery, in the larger shelter there is a 12 v flourecent light and a couple of 240 v lights that can either run from the generator or through an inverter and a 12 v battery...

So as you can see, a very wide variety of systems for lighting the various area's...

When we have a meet up on the site and are around the fire in the evening we have one of Reds super LED lanterns and of course the light from the fire..So long as we can see the labels on the bottles we don't usually need to much lighting...

LS

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Perhaps you could help me LS - I'm after some sort of lantern to run from a 12V car battery for family camping. I've been looking for an LED solution - thinking it would have lower power consumption and be more durable - but have drawn a blank so far.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
scanker said:
Perhaps you could help me LS - I'm after some sort of lantern to run from a 12V car battery for family camping. I've been looking for an LED solution - thinking it would have lower power consumption and be more durable - but have drawn a blank so far.

I made my own using LED's bought from eBay, a piece of wood fo the base and one of those globes that come with washing powder. I had intended it as an anchor light but it works well for general lighting.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
scanker said:

Hi Skanker,

First you need to do a bit of shopping at your local pound-shop or similar, we have one called J-Mart warehouse...Look for the flashing beacon lights that plug into the cigar lighter on your vehicle...

Inside the base of one of these is a small circuit board with the components that make it flash...usually a little black thingy with three legs mostly round with a small flat bit on it...Any way these lights usually have 9 or 12 white LEDs', but the top cover is probably going to be amber, red or green, this needs to be taken off and replaced with something that is transparent...like the bottom of a pop bottle, the tricky bit is stopping the thing from flashing when it is powered up, do you know anyone who is into electronics who could re-jig this to be on permanently?

The next thing I would suggest is a small jelly battery, one that will fit into a small ammo box, you will need a switch and some wiring but should be an easy enough project...I used to have one of the mentioned beacon lights but chucked it a while ago...If I had it I would have done a step by step project for you all...

LS

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Anybody tried a CMG Bonfire ? I was toying with getting one for reading in the hammock. Not keen on candles around the midgie net.
The Blaze version looks like it might be more useful as a general lantern but for reading I think the original model would do nicely.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Blimey that sounds complicated. Are you just using the beacon lights as a source for the LEDs in a holder or have I missed something? I presume a beacon light is like a flashing orange light, that sort of thing? Secondly, what's a jelly battery? I've a 12V battery from an old car which I've put in a plastic box, the sort they have for caravans - I was hoping to power whatever lantern I get/make from this. I've been looking at http://www.ultraleds.co.uk - wondering if there's anything suitable I can buy from there, but baffled by the enormous selection!

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
scanker said:
Blimey that sounds complicated. Are you just using the beacon lights as a source for the LEDs in a holder or have I missed something? I presume a beacon light is like a flashing orange light, that sort of thing? Secondly, what's a jelly battery? I've a 12V battery from an old car which I've put in a plastic box, the sort they have for caravans - I was hoping to power whatever lantern I get/make from this. I've been looking at http://www.ultraleds.co.uk - wondering if there's anything suitable I can buy from there, but baffled by the enormous selection!

Hi Neil,

Yes, the beacon was for the LED source, one of the cheapest ways of buying them in quantity, with the benefit of a holder and lead as well...

Jelly batteries are the ones they use for back up in alarm systems, they are great as they do not leak at whatever angle you put, and some are small enough to hang from the inside of a tent (look at the camp shower article, it has a mid size jelly battery there).

I like the idea of the lights you have been looking at, the main catch with them is they are usually coloured...

Have just found this site...http://www.knightlight.co.uk/pr-led_assemblies.asp they have ultra bright LEDs from under £2 each...

LS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE